- University of Ottawa
University of Ottawa
The University of Ottawa er den største tosproget (Engelsk-Fransk) universitet i verden. Beliggende i hjertet af Canadas hovedstad, vi har let adgang til de store institutioner i vores land. Vores fremskridt i samfundsvidenskab, sundhed, videnskab og humaniora gør uOttawa et unikt sted at lære, vokse og excel.
I løbet af det kommende årti, University of Ottawa vil lancere vigtige initiativer, der relaterer direkte til sine kerneværdier.
- Sætte studerende i centrum for vores pædagogiske mission
- Aktivering vores medarbejdere til at vokse som individer og som gruppe
- Oprettelse og deling af viden
- Fremme tosprogethed og styrke fransktalende samfund
- Praktiserende og fremme en etik for service og social ansvarlighed
- Mere end 40,000 studerende, 5,000 medarbejdere og 180,000 alumner
- Mere end 450 programmer i 10 fakulteter
- 97% beskæftigelsesfrekvensen for kandidater
- Tæt på $60 millioner om året i de studerendes stipendier og legater
- Først og største franske nedsænkning program blandt canadiske universiteter
- En stor økonomisk kraft i National Capital Region
- Største lov skole i Canada
Skoler / Gymnasier / Afdelinger / Kurser / Fakulteter
- Aboriginal Studies
- Canadian and Aboriginal Studies
- Centre for Research on French Canadian Culture
- Classics and Religious Studies
- General BA
- Information Studies
- Institute for Science, Samfund, and Policy
- Medieval and Renaissance Studies
- Modern Languages and Literatures
- Official Languages and Bilingualism Institute
- Second Language Teaching
- Translation and Interpretation
- Vered Jewish Canadian Studies
- Visual Arts
- World cinemas
- Common Law
- Kemiske og biologiske Engineering
- Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Graduate og postdoc Studies
- Health science (interdisciplinary)
- Human Kinetics
- Nutrition Sciences
- Rehabilitering Sciences
- Ottawa-Shanghai Joint School of Medicine
- MD Program (Undergraduate Medical Education)
- Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Program
- MD/PhD Program
- Postgraduate Medical Education Program
- Biokemi, Mikrobiologi og Immunologi
- Cellular and Molecular Medicine
- Epidemiologi, Public Health and Preventive Medicine
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Innovation in Medical Education
- Medicin (Department)
- Obstetrik og Gynækologi
- Patologi og Laboratory Medicine
- Chemistry and Biomolecular Sciences
- Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Matematik og statistik
- Feminist and Gender Studies
- International Development and Global Studies
- Political Studies
- Public and International Affairs
- Socialt arbejde
- Sociological and Anthropological Studies
- Telfer School of Management
- Executive MBA
- Human Resource Management
- International Management
- Management Information Systems (MIS)
- Master in Business Admin.
- Master of Health Admin.
The university was established on 26 september 1848 as the College of Bytown by the first Roman Catholic bishop of Ottawa, Joseph-Bruno Guigues. He entrusted administration to the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate. The college was originally located in Lower Town, housed in a wooden building next to the Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica. Imidlertid, space quickly became an issue for administrators, triggering two moves in 1852 and a final move to Sandy Hill in 1856. The Sandy Hill property was donated by Louis-Theodore Besserer, where he offered a substantial parcel from his estate for the college. The college was renamed College of Ottawa in 1861, following the city’s name change from Bytown to Ottawa. I 1866, the college received its first charter, as well as university status, making it the final institution in Canada to receive a Royal Charter from London before the British North America Act, 1867 made education a provincial responsibility. Ved 1872 the university had already begun to confer undergraduate degrees, with master’s degrees coming in 1875 and doctoral degrees in 1888. På 5 februar 1889, the university was granted a pontifical charter from Pope Leo XIII, elevating the university to a pontifical university.
The university faced a crisis when fire destroyed the main building on 2 december 1903. After the fire, the university hired New York architect A. den. Von Herbulis to design its replacement, Tabaret Hall. It was among the first Canadian structures to be completely fireproof, built of reinforced concrete. Women first enrolled in 1919.
I efteråret 1939, a Canadian Officer Training Corp was established at the university, with training beginning on in January 1940. The Canadian Officers’ Training Corps, University of Ottawa Contingent, which comprised a company, headquarters and three platoons in 1939, was authorized to become a battalion in 1940. Ved 1941, the unit swelled to 550 men. An air force Officers’ Training Corp was created in 1942 and a naval Officers’ training corp in 1943. Participation in one of the three corps became mandatory for all students over 18, although they were not obliged to participate in the actual war at the end of their studies. I løbet af denne tid, the Royal Canadian Air Force used parts of the university’s grounds for training and the university constructed barracks to house members of the Canadian Women’s Army Corps. I alt 1,158 students and alumni of the university enrolled the Canadian Forces during the Second World War, af hvilken 50 died overseas. The unit was eventually disbanded during the unification of the Armed Forces in 1968.
The Ottawa architecture firm of Burgess, McLean & MacPhadyen designed the Eastern Ontario Institute of Technology (later to merge with the Ontario Vocational Centre and renamed Algonquin College), opened its new Rideau Campus on a 12-acre city owned Lees Avenue site in 1964. After being unused for a number of years, the midcentury academic complex was sold to the University of Ottawa in January 2007.
The university was reorganized on 1 juli 1965 as a corporation independent from any outside body or religious organization, becoming publicly funded. Som resultat, the civil and pontifical charters were transferred to the newly created Saint Paul University, federated with the corporation, while the remaining civil faculties were retained by the reorganized university.
I 1974, a new policy mandated by the Government of Ontario strengthened institutional bilingualism at the university, with specific instructions to further bilingualism and biculturalism and preserve and develop French culture.
I 1989, Dr. Wilbert Keon of the University of Ottawa Heart Institute performed the country’s first neonatal artificial heart transplant on an 11-day-old baby.
På 11 november 1998, during the University of Ottawa’s 150th anniversary celebrations, two war memorial plaques were unveiled in the foyer of Tabaret Hall which honour 1000 graduates of the university community who took part in armed conflict, especially the list of 50 graduates who lost their lives.
The engineering building, Col By Hall, was unveiled in September 2005 as a memorial dedicated to Lieutenant-Colonel John By, Royal Engineers.
Vil du have discuss University of Ottawa ? Ethvert spørgsmål, kommentarer eller anmeldelser
Del denne nyttige info med dine venner
Join to discuss of University of Ottawa.
BEMÆRK: EducationBro Magazine giver dig mulighed for at læse information om universiteter på 96 sprog, men vi beder dig om at respektere andre medlemmer og efterlade kommentarer på engelsk.