- University of Notre Dame
University of Notre Dame
University of Notre Dame on eraõiguslik institutsioon, mis asutati 1842.
Õppemaksu University of Notre Dame on $48,000 (Aprox.).
Notre Dame asub South Bend, Ind., lihtsalt 100 miili väljaspool Chicago. Ainult uustulnukat peavad elama ülikoolilinnakus, kuid enamik õpilasi valida jääda ülikoolilinnakus ühes 29 samast soost ühiselamut. Saalid olla keskuste ühiskonnaelu Notre Dame, kuna puudub kreeka elu ülikoolilinnakus. legendid, kampuksella restoran ja pubi, on populaarne kohapeal vaadates spordiürituste. Notre Dame “Võitlus Iiri” kiidelda üle 25 võistkond NCAA Division I spordivõistkondades ja on tuntud oma järjepidevalt tugev jalgpalli programmi. Üle poole õpivad välismaal vähemalt ühe semestri.
Notre Dame on jagatud kaheksa koolides ja kolledžites, millest suurim on College of Arts and Letters. Notre Dame’s graduate and professional programs include the highly ranked Mendoza College of Business and Law School in addition to a well-regarded School of Architecture, mis pakub bakalaureuse-ja kraadiõppe programmid. Märkimisväärsed vilistlaste hulka kuuluvad endine USA-d. Condoleezza Rice, talk-show host Regis Philbin ja kuulsuste jalgpallur Joe Montana. The 1993 film “Rudy,” järjestatud üks top 25 Sport filme varem 25 aastaks ESPN, oli filmitud Notre Dame ülikooli ja kujutab tõelist lugu Daniel “Rudy” Ruettiger, kes võitnud palju takistusi jalgpalli mängida Notre Dame.
Koolid / Kolledžid / osakonnad / Kursused / Teaduskonnad
School of Architecture
asutatud aastal 1898
2014 Enrollment: 168 bakalaureuse, 43 lõpetama
College of Arts and Letters
asutatud aastal 1842
2014 Enrollment: 1,914 bakalaureuse, 1,128 lõpetama
- The Humanities
- africana Studies
- American Studies (includes Journalism)
- Classics (includes Arabic Studies)
- Ida-Aasia keeled ja kultuurid
- German and Russian Languages and Literatures
- Irish Language and Literature
- Program of Liberal Studies
- Romance Languages and Literatures
- The Arts
- kunst, Kunstiajalugu, and Design
- film, televisioon, and Theatre
- The Social Sciences
Mendoza College of Business
asutatud aastal 1921
2014 Enrollment: 2,050 bakalaureuse, 673 lõpetama
- Executive M.B.A.
- Master of Science in Accountancy
- Master of Science in Business Analytics
- Master of Science in Finance
- Master of Nonprofit Administration
- Master of Science in Management
College of Engineering
asutatud aastal 1873
2014 Enrollment: 1,203 bakalaureuse, 485 lõpetama
- Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering
- Keemia- ja Biomolekulaarse Engineering
- Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering & Maateadus
- Computer Science and Engineering
Keough School of Global Affairs
rajatud 2014. Opening its doors to students in August 2017.
- Center for Civil and Human Rights
- Kellogg Institute for International Studies
- Keough-Naughton Institute for Irish Studies
- Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies
- Liu Institute for Asia and Asian Studies
- Nanovic Institute for European Studies
- Notre Dame Initiative for Global Development
College of Science
asutatud aastal 1865
2014 Enrollment: 1,191 bakalaureuse, 550 lõpetama
- Applied and Computational Mathematics and Statistics
- Biological Sciences
- Keemia ja Biokeemia
- Preprofessional Studies
First Year of Studies
asutatud aastal 1962
2014 Enrollment: 2,025 üliõpilast
asutatud aastal 1918
2014 Enrollment: 2,200 kraadiõppurid
The Law School
asutatud aastal 1869
2013 Enrollment: 548 kraadiõppurid
sisse 1842, the Bishop of Vincennes, Célestine Guynemer de la Hailandière, offered land to Father Edward Sorin of the Congregation of Holy Cross, on the condition that he build a college in two years.[ Fr. Sorin arrived on the site with eight Holy Cross brothers from France and Ireland on November 26, 1842, and began the school using Father Stephen Badin’s old log chapel. He soon erected additional buildings, including Old College, the first church, and the first main building. They immediately acquired two students and set about building additions to the campus.
Notre Dame began as a primary and secondary school, but soon received its official college charter from the Indiana General Assembly on January 15, 1844. Under the charter the school is officially named the University of Notre Dame du Lac (University of Our Lady of the Lake). Because the university was originally only for male students, the female-only Saint Mary’s College was founded by the Sisters of the Holy Cross near Notre Dame in 1844.
The first degrees from the college were awarded in 1849. The university was expanded with new buildings to accommodate more students and faculty. With each new president, new academic programs were offered and new buildings built to accommodate them. The original Main Building built by Fr. Sorin just after he arrived was replaced by a larger “Main Building” sisse 1865, which housed the university’s administration, klassiruumid, and dormitories. Alates 1873, a library collection was started by Father Lemonnier, housed in the Main Building, ja 1879 it had grown to ten thousand volumes.
This Main Building, and the library collection, was entirely destroyed by a fire in April 1879; school closed immediately and students were sent home. The university founder, Fr. Sorin, and the president at the time, the Rev. William Corby, immediately planned for the rebuilding of the structure that had housed virtually the entire University. Construction was started on May 17, and by the incredible zeal of administrator and workers the building was completed before the fall semester of 1879. The library collection was also rebuilt and stayed housed in the new Main Building for years afterwards. Around the time of the fire, a music hall was opened. Known as Washington Hall, it hosted plays and musical acts put on by the school. Kõrval 1880, a science program was established at the university, and a Science Hall (today LaFortune Student Center) ehitati 1883. The hall housed multiple classrooms and science labs needed for early research at the university.
Kõrval 1890, individual residence halls were built to house the increasing number of students. William J. Hoynes was dean of the law school 1883-1919, and when its new building was opened shortly after his death it was renamed in his honor. The Rev. John Zahm C.S.C. became the Holy Cross Provincial for the United States (1896–1906), with overall supervision of the university. He tried to modernize and expand Notre Dame, erecting buildings and adding to the campus art gallery and library, and amassing what became a famous Dante collection. His term was not renewed by the Congregation because of fears he had expanded Notre Dame too quickly and had run the Holy Cross order into serious debt.
sisse 1919 Father James Burns became president of Notre Dame, and in three years he produced an academic revolution that brought the school up to national standards by adopting the elective system and moving away from the university’s traditional scholastic and classical emphasis. Seevastu, the Jesuit colleges, bastions of academic conservatism, were reluctant to move to a system of electives; for this reason, their graduates were shut out of Harvard Law School. Notre Dame continued to grow over the years, adding more colleges, programmid, and sports teams. Kõrval 1921, with the addition of the College of Commerce, Notre Dame had grown from a small college to a university with five colleges and a professional law school. The university continued to expand and add new residence halls and buildings with each subsequent president.
One of the main driving forces in the growth of the University was its football team, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. Knute Rocknebecame head coach in 1918. Under Rockne, the Irish would post a record of 105 võidab, 12 losses, and five ties. During his 13 years the Irish won three national championships, had five undefeated seasons, won the Rose Bowl in 1925, and produced players such as George Gipp and the “Four Horsemen”. Knute Rockne has the highest winning percentage (.881) in NCAA Division I/FBS football history. Rockne’s offenses employed the Notre Dame Box and his defenses ran a 7–2–2 scheme. The last game Rockne coached was on December 14, 1930 when he led a group of Notre Dame all-stars against the New York Giants in New York City.
The success of its football team made Notre Dame a household name. The success of Note Dame reflected rising status of Irish Americans and Catholics in the 1920s. Catholics rallied up around the team and listened to the games on the radio, especially when it knocked off the schools that symbolized the Protestant establishment in America — Harvard, Yale, Princetoni, and Army. Yet this role as high-profile flagship institution of Catholicism made it an easy target of anti-Catholicism. The most remarkable episode of violence was the clash between Notre Dame students and the Ku Klux Klan, a white supremacist and anti-catholic movement, sisse 1924. Nativism and anti-Catholicism, especially when directed towards immigrants, were cornerstones of the KKK’s rhetoric, and Notre Dame was seen as a symbol of the threat posed by the Catholic Church. The Klan decided to have a week-long Klavern in South Bend. Clashes with the student body started on March 17, when students, aware of the anti-Catholic animosity, blocked the Klansmen from descending from their trains in the South Bend station and ripped the KKK clothes and regalia. mail 19 thousands of students massed downtown protesting the Klavern, and only the arrival of college president Fr. Matthew Walsh prevented any further clashes. The next day, football coach Knute Rockne spoke at a campus rally and implored the students to obey the college president and refrain from further violence. A few days later the Klavern broke up, but the hostility shown by the students was an omen and a contribution to the downfall of the KKK in Indiana.
Holy Cross Father John Francis O’Hara was elected vice president in 1933 and president of Notre Dame in 1934. During his tenure at Notre Dame, he brought numerous refugee intellectuals to campus; he selected Frank H. Spearman, Jeremiah D. M. Ford, Irvin Abell, and Josephine Brownson for the Laetare Medal, instituted in 1883. O’Hara strongly believed that the Fighting Irish football team could be an effective means to “acquaint the public with the ideals that dominate” meie Lady. He wrote, “Notre Dame football is a spiritual service because it is played for the honor and glory of God and of his Blessed Mother. When St. Paul said: ‘Whether you eat or drink, or whatsoever else you do, do all for the glory of God,’ he included football.”
The Rev. John J. Cavanaugh, C.S.C. served as president from 1946 et 1952. Cavanaugh’s legacy at Notre Dame in the post-war years was devoted to raising academic standards and reshaping the university administration to suit it to an enlarged educational mission and an expanded student body and stressing advanced studies and research at a time when Notre Dame quadrupled in student census, undergraduate enrollment increased by more than half, and graduate student enrollment grew fivefold. Cavanaugh also established the Lobund Institute for Animal Studies and Notre Dame’s Medieval Institute. Cavanaugh also presided over the construction of the Nieuwland Science Hall, Fisher Hall, and the Morris Inn, as well as the Hall of Liberal Arts (now O’Shaughnessy Hall), made possible by a donation from I.A. O’Shaughnessy, at the time the largest ever made to an American Catholic university. He also established a system of advisory councils at the university, which continue today and are vital to the university’s governance and development.
The Rev. Theodore Hesburgh, C.S.C., (1917–2015) served as president for 35 aastat (1952–87) of dramatic transformations. In that time the annual operating budget rose by a factor of 18 pärit $9.7 million to $176.6 miljon, and the endowment by a factor of 40 pärit $9 million to $350 miljon, and research funding by a factor of 20 pärit $735,000 et $15 miljon. Enrollment nearly doubled from 4,979 et 9,600, faculty more than doubled 389 et 950, and degrees awarded annually doubled from 1,212 et 2,500.
Hesburgh is also credited with transforming the face of Notre Dame by making it a coeducational institution. In the mid-1960s Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s College developed a co-exchange program whereby several hundred students took classes not offered at their home institution, an arrangement that added undergraduate women to a campus that already had a few women in the graduate schools. After extensive debate, merging with St. Mary’s was rejected, primarily because of the differential in faculty qualifications and pay scales. “In American college education,” explained the Rev. Charles E. Sheedy, C.S.C., Notre Dame’s Dean of Arts and Letters, “certain features formerly considered advantageous and enviable are now seen as anachronistic and out of place…. In this environment of diversity, the integration of the sexes is a normal and expected aspect, replacing separatism.” Thomas Blantz, C.S.C., Notre Dame’s Vice President of Student Affairs, added that coeducation “opened up a whole other pool of very bright students.” Two of the male residence halls were converted for the newly admitted female students that first year, while two others were converted for the next school year. sisse 1971 Mary Ann Proctor became the first female undergraduate; she transferred from St. Mary’s College. sisse 1972, Angela Sienko, who earned a bachelor’s degree in marketing, became the first woman graduate from the university.
aasta 18 years under the presidency of Edward Malloy, C.S.C., (1987–2005), there was a rapid growth in the school’s reputation, teaduskond, and resources. He increased the faculty by more than 500 professorid; the academic quality of the student body has improved dramatically, with the average SAT score rising from 1240 et 1360; the number of minority students more than doubled; the endowment grew from $350 million to more than $3 miljard; the annual operating budget rose from $177 million to more than $650 miljon; and annual research funding improved from $15 million to more than $70 miljon. Notre Dame’s most recent (2014) capital campaign raised $2.014 miljard, far exceeding its goal of $767 miljon, and is the largest in the history of Catholic higher education and the largest of any University without a medical school.
alates 2005, Notre Dame has been led by John I. Jenkins, C.S.C., the 17th president of the university. Jenkins took over the position from Malloy on July 1, 2005. In his inaugural address, Jenkins described his goals of making the university a leader in research that recognizes ethics and building the connection between faith and studies. Oma ametiaja jooksul, Notre Dame has increased its endowment, enlarged its student body, and undergone many construction projects on campus, including Compton Family Ice Arena, a new architecture hall, additional residence halls, and the Campus Crossroads, a $400m enhancement and expansion of Notre Dame Stadium.
Kas sa tahad discuss University of Notre Dame ? Iga küsimus, kommentaare või kommentaare
Jaga seda kasulikku infot oma sõpradega
Join to discuss of University of Notre Dame.
PANE TÄHELE: EducationBro Magazine annab teile võime lugeda infot ülikoolide 96 keeltes, kuid palume austada teisi liikmeid ja kommenteerida inglise.