- University of Notre Dame
University of Notre Dame
Txheej txheem cej luam
University of Notre Dame yog ib tug private lub tsev uas twb nrhiav tau nyob rau hauv 1842.
Nqi kawm ntawv cov nqi nyob rau hauv University of Notre Dame yog $48,000 (Aprox.).
Notre Dame yog nyob rau hauv South khoov, Ind., cia li 100 mais sab nraum ntawm Chicago. Tsuas yog kawm thawj xyoo yuav tsum tau nyob hauv tsev kawm ntawv, tiam sis feem ntau cov tub ntxhais kawm xaiv nyob twj ywm hauv tsev kawm ntawv nyob rau hauv ib tug ntawm cov 29 ib leeg-nrog txiv neej pw qhov chaw nyob halls. Lub halls pab raws li qhov chaw ntawm kev sib raug zoo lub neej nyob rau Notre Dame, raws li muaj yog tsis muaj Greek lub neej nyob rau lub tsev kawm ntawv. Legends, ib tug nyob rau hauv-tsev kawm ntawv lub tsev noj mov thiab pub, yog ib tug nrov chaw rau menyuam ntaus pob ncaws pob txheej xwm. Lub Notre Dame “sib ntaus sib tua Irish” khav ntau tshaj 25 varsity NCAA Division I kis las pawg thiab paub zoo rau lawv li qhia siv kuj muaj zog football kev pab cuam. Tshaj ib nrab ntawm cov tub ntxhais kawm kawm txawv teb chaws rau tsawg kawg yog ib semester.
Notre Dame yog muab faib ua yim lub tsev kawm ntawv thiab kawm ntawv qib siab, qhov loj tshaj plaws uas yog lub College of Arts thiab ntawv. Notre Dame’s graduate and professional programs include the highly ranked Mendoza College of Business and Law School in addition to a well-regarded School of Architecture, uas muaj undergraduate thiab kev kawm. Notable alumni xws li yav tas los U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, tham-yeeb party Regis Philbin thiab Hall ntawm koob meej football neeg uas ua ntawv Joe Montana. cov 1993 zaj duab xis “Rudy,” ranked ib tug ntawm cov saum toj kawg nkaus 25 kev ua si tsos ntawm yav dhau los 25 xyoo los ntawm ESPN, yog cia rau Notre Dame lub tsev kawm ntawv thiab depicts lub tseeb ntawm zaj dab Daniel “Rudy” Ruettiger, uas tau kov yeej ntau yam obstacles mus ua si football ntawm Notre Dame.
Cov tsev kawm ntawv / tsev kawm ntawv qib / departments / Cov Hoob / faculties
Lub tsev kawm ntawv ntawm Architecture
tsim nyob rau hauv 1898
2014 Enrollment: 168 undergraduate, 43 kawm tiav
College of Arts and Letters
tsim nyob rau hauv 1842
2014 Enrollment: 1,914 undergraduate, 1,128 kawm tiav
- The Humanities
- Africana Studies
- American kev tshawb fawb (includes Journalism)
- classics (includes Arabic Studies)
- East Asian lus thiab kuaj
- German and Russian Languages and Literatures
- Keeb kwm
- Irish Language and Literature
- Program of Liberal Studies
- Romance Languages and Literatures
- kawn txog kev ntseeg
- The Arts
- Art, Art History, and Design
- Zaj duab xis, Television, and Theatre
- The Social Sciences
- Political Science
Mendoza College of Business
tsim nyob rau hauv 1921
2014 Enrollment: 2,050 undergraduate, 673 kawm tiav
- Executive M.B.A.
- Executive Programs
- Master of Science in Accountancy
- Master of Science in Business Analytics
- Master of Science in Finance
- Master of Nonprofit Administration
- Master of Science in Management
Kawm ntawv qib siab ntawm Engineering
tsim nyob rau hauv 1873
2014 Enrollment: 1,203 undergraduate, 485 kawm tiav
- Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering
- Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering & lub ntiaj teb Sciences
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Hluav taws xob cov Engineering
Keough School of Global Affairs
founded 2014. Opening its doors to students in August 2017.
- Center for Civil and Human Rights
- Kellogg Institute for International Studies
- Keough-Naughton Institute for Irish Studies
- Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies
- Liu Institute for Asia and Asian Studies
- Nanovic Institute for European Studies
- Notre Dame Initiative for Global Development
College of Science
tsim nyob rau hauv 1865
2014 Enrollment: 1,191 undergraduate, 550 kawm tiav
- Applied and Computational Mathematics and Statistics
- lom Sciences
- Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Kev kawm txog zauv
- Preprofessional Studies
First Year of Studies
tsim nyob rau hauv 1962
2014 Enrollment: 2,025 undergraduate me nyuam kawm ntawv
Cov Kawm tiav tsev kawm ntawv
tsim nyob rau hauv 1918
2014 Enrollment: 2,200 kawm tiav me nyuam kawm ntawv
The Law School
tsim nyob rau hauv 1869
2013 Enrollment: 548 kawm tiav me nyuam kawm ntawv
Nyob rau hauv 1842, the Bishop of Vincennes, Célestine Guynemer de la Hailandière, offered land to Father Edward Sorin of the Congregation of Holy Cross, on the condition that he build a college in two years.[ Fr. Sorin arrived on the site with eight Holy Cross brothers from France and Ireland on November 26, 1842, and began the school using Father Stephen Badin’s old log chapel. He soon erected additional buildings, including Old College, the first church, and the first main building. They immediately acquired two students and set about building additions to the campus.
Notre Dame began as a primary and secondary school, but soon received its official college charter from the Indiana General Assembly on January 15, 1844. Under the charter the school is officially named the University of Notre Dame du Lac (University of Our Lady of the Lake). Because the university was originally only for male students, the female-only Saint Mary’s College was founded by the Sisters of the Holy Cross near Notre Dame in 1844.
The first degrees from the college were awarded in 1849. The university was expanded with new buildings to accommodate more students and faculty. With each new president, new academic programs were offered and new buildings built to accommodate them. The original Main Building built by Fr. Sorin just after he arrived was replaced by a larger “Main Building” nyob rau hauv 1865, which housed the university’s administration, chav kawm ntawv, and dormitories. Beginning in 1873, a library collection was started by Father Lemonnier, housed in the Main Building, thiab los ntawm 1879 it had grown to ten thousand volumes.
This Main Building, and the library collection, was entirely destroyed by a fire in April 1879; school closed immediately and students were sent home. The university founder, Fr. Sorin, and the president at the time, the Rev. William Corby, immediately planned for the rebuilding of the structure that had housed virtually the entire University. Construction was started on May 17, and by the incredible zeal of administrator and workers the building was completed before the fall semester of 1879. The library collection was also rebuilt and stayed housed in the new Main Building for years afterwards. Around the time of the fire, a music hall was opened. Known as Washington Hall, it hosted plays and musical acts put on by the school. los ntawm 1880, a science program was established at the university, and a Science Hall (today LaFortune Student Center) ua tau nyob rau hauv 1883. The hall housed multiple classrooms and science labs needed for early research at the university.
los ntawm 1890, individual residence halls were built to house the increasing number of students. William J. Hoynes was dean of the law school 1883-1919, and when its new building was opened shortly after his death it was renamed in his honor. The Rev. John Zahm C.S.C. became the Holy Cross Provincial for the United States (1896–1906), with overall supervision of the university. He tried to modernize and expand Notre Dame, erecting buildings and adding to the campus art gallery and library, and amassing what became a famous Dante collection. His term was not renewed by the Congregation because of fears he had expanded Notre Dame too quickly and had run the Holy Cross order into serious debt.
Nyob rau hauv 1919 Father James Burns became president of Notre Dame, and in three years he produced an academic revolution that brought the school up to national standards by adopting the elective system and moving away from the university’s traditional scholastic and classical emphasis. los ntawm contrast, the Jesuit colleges, bastions of academic conservatism, were reluctant to move to a system of electives; for this reason, their graduates were shut out of Harvard Law School. Notre Dame continued to grow over the years, adding more colleges, cov kev pab cuam, and sports teams. los ntawm 1921, with the addition of the College of Commerce, Notre Dame had grown from a small college to a university with five colleges and a professional law school. The university continued to expand and add new residence halls and buildings with each subsequent president.
One of the main driving forces in the growth of the University was its football team, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. Knute Rocknebecame head coach in 1918. Under Rockne, the Irish would post a record of 105 yeej, 12 losses, and five ties. During his 13 years the Irish won three national championships, had five undefeated seasons, won the Rose Bowl in 1925, and produced players such as George Gipp and the “Four Horsemen”. Knute Rockne has the highest winning percentage (.881) in NCAA Division I/FBS football history. Rockne’s offenses employed the Notre Dame Box and his defenses ran a 7–2–2 scheme. The last game Rockne coached was on December 14, 1930 when he led a group of Notre Dame all-stars against the New York Giants in New York City.
The success of its football team made Notre Dame a household name. The success of Note Dame reflected rising status of Irish Americans and Catholics in the 1920s. Catholics rallied up around the team and listened to the games on the radio, especially when it knocked off the schools that symbolized the Protestant establishment in America — Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Army. Yet this role as high-profile flagship institution of Catholicism made it an easy target of anti-Catholicism. The most remarkable episode of violence was the clash between Notre Dame students and the Ku Klux Klan, a white supremacist and anti-catholic movement, nyob rau hauv 1924. Nativism and anti-Catholicism, especially when directed towards immigrants, were cornerstones of the KKK’s rhetoric, and Notre Dame was seen as a symbol of the threat posed by the Catholic Church. The Klan decided to have a week-long Klavern in South Bend. Clashes with the student body started on March 17, when students, aware of the anti-Catholic animosity, blocked the Klansmen from descending from their trains in the South Bend station and ripped the KKK clothes and regalia. On May 19 thousands of students massed downtown protesting the Klavern, and only the arrival of college president Fr. Matthew Walsh prevented any further clashes. The next day, football coach Knute Rockne spoke at a campus rally and implored the students to obey the college president and refrain from further violence. A few days later the Klavern broke up, but the hostility shown by the students was an omen and a contribution to the downfall of the KKK in Indiana.
Holy Cross Father John Francis O’Hara was elected vice president in 1933 and president of Notre Dame in 1934. During his tenure at Notre Dame, he brought numerous refugee intellectuals to campus; he selected Frank H. Spearman, Jeremiah D. M. Ford, Irvin Abell, and Josephine Brownson for the Laetare Medal, instituted in 1883. O’Hara strongly believed that the Fighting Irish football team could be an effective means to “acquaint the public with the ideals that dominate” Notre Dame. He wrote, “Notre Dame football is a spiritual service because it is played for the honor and glory of God and of his Blessed Mother. When St. Paul said: ‘Whether you eat or drink, or whatsoever else you do, do all for the glory of God,’ he included football.”
The Rev. John J. Cavanaugh, C.S.C. served as president from 1946 rau 1952. Cavanaugh’s legacy at Notre Dame in the post-war years was devoted to raising academic standards and reshaping the university administration to suit it to an enlarged educational mission and an expanded student body and stressing advanced studies and research at a time when Notre Dame quadrupled in student census, undergraduate enrollment increased by more than half, and graduate student enrollment grew fivefold. Cavanaugh also established the Lobund Institute for Animal Studies and Notre Dame’s Medieval Institute. Cavanaugh also presided over the construction of the Nieuwland Science Hall, Fisher Hall, and the Morris Inn, as well as the Hall of Liberal Arts (now O’Shaughnessy Hall), made possible by a donation from I.A. O’Shaughnessy, at the time the largest ever made to an American Catholic university. He also established a system of advisory councils at the university, which continue today and are vital to the university’s governance and development.
The Rev. Theodore Hesburgh, C.S.C., (1917–2015) served as president for 35 xyoo (1952–87) of dramatic transformations. In that time the annual operating budget rose by a factor of 18 los ntawm $9.7 million to $176.6 lab, and the endowment by a factor of 40 los ntawm $9 million to $350 lab, and research funding by a factor of 20 los ntawm $735,000 rau $15 lab. Enrollment nearly doubled from 4,979 rau 9,600, faculty more than doubled 389 rau 950, and degrees awarded annually doubled from 1,212 rau 2,500.
Hesburgh is also credited with transforming the face of Notre Dame by making it a coeducational institution. In the mid-1960s Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s College developed a co-exchange program whereby several hundred students took classes not offered at their home institution, an arrangement that added undergraduate women to a campus that already had a few women in the graduate schools. After extensive debate, merging with St. Mary’s was rejected, primarily because of the differential in faculty qualifications and pay scales. “In American college education,” explained the Rev. Charles E. Sheedy, C.S.C., Notre Dame’s Dean of Arts and Letters, “certain features formerly considered advantageous and enviable are now seen as anachronistic and out of place…. In this environment of diversity, the integration of the sexes is a normal and expected aspect, replacing separatism.” Thomas Blantz, C.S.C., Notre Dame’s Vice President of Student Affairs, added that coeducation “opened up a whole other pool of very bright students.” Two of the male residence halls were converted for the newly admitted female students that first year, while two others were converted for the next school year. Nyob rau hauv 1971 Mary Ann Proctor became the first female undergraduate; she transferred from St. Mary’s College. Nyob rau hauv 1972, Angela Sienko, who earned a bachelor’s degree in marketing, became the first woman graduate from the university.
Nyob rau hauv lub 18 years under the presidency of Edward Malloy, C.S.C., (1987–2005), there was a rapid growth in the school’s reputation, kws qhia ntawv, and resources. He increased the faculty by more than 500 professors; the academic quality of the student body has improved dramatically, with the average SAT score rising from 1240 rau 1360; the number of minority students more than doubled; the endowment grew from $350 million to more than $3 billion; the annual operating budget rose from $177 million to more than $650 lab; and annual research funding improved from $15 million to more than $70 lab. Notre Dame’s most recent (2014) capital campaign raised $2.014 billion, far exceeding its goal of $767 lab, and is the largest in the history of Catholic higher education and the largest of any University without a medical school.
Txij thaum 2005, Notre Dame has been led by John I. Jenkins, C.S.C., the 17th president of the university. Jenkins took over the position from Malloy on July 1, 2005. In his inaugural address, Jenkins described his goals of making the university a leader in research that recognizes ethics and building the connection between faith and studies. Thaum lub sij hawm nws tenure, Notre Dame has increased its endowment, enlarged its student body, and undergone many construction projects on campus, including Compton Family Ice Arena, a new architecture hall, additional residence halls, and the Campus Crossroads, a $400m enhancement and expansion of Notre Dame Stadium.
Koj puas xav discuss University of Notre Dame ? tej lo lus nug, lus los yog kev txheeb xyuas
Muab daim ntawv pab tau info nrog koj cov phooj ywg
Join to discuss of University of Notre Dame.
THOV NCO NTSOOV: EducationBro Magazine muab koj muaj peev xwm nyeem info txog universities ntawm 96 lus, tab sis peb thov kom koj mus hwm lwm cov neeg thiab tawm cov lus nyob rau lus Askiv.