- Lehigh University
apèsi sou lekòl la
Lehigh University se yon enstitisyon prive ki te fonde nan 1865.
Tuition fees in Lehigh University yo $48,000 (Anv.).
Lehigh University a sitiye nan lavil Betleyèm, PA., 50 mil nan nò Filadèlfi ak 75 mil nan lwès New York City. Lehigh Mountain Malfini karanklou yo se manm nan Lig la Patriot, ak konpetisyon nan 25 NCAA Divizyon mwen espò. Yo pi gwo rivalite atletik se Lafayette Kolèj, sitiye mwens pase 20 mil lwen. Yon tyè nan kò a elèv ki patisipe nan fraternities ak sororities. Tout elèv premye ane yo oblije ap viv sou lakou lekòl la, ak sophomores yo tou oblije ap viv sou lakou lekòl la nan yon sal rezidans oswa lojman Greek. se lakou lekòl la prensipal Lehigh ki chita sou pant lan rakbwa nan Sid Mountain, ak mwatye nan lakou lekòl la se konsève kòm espas ouvri.
Lehigh University gen kat kolèj, ak anpil bakaloreya, epi diplome élèves. Its well-regarded graduate programs include the College of Education and theP.C. Rossin College of Jeni ak Syans aplike. Divilgasyon an Jeanne Clery nan Policy Sekirite Campus ak Campus Krim Estatistik Lwa soti nan Lehigh, ki mande kolèj revele krim sou lakou lekòl la. Lehigh tradisyon di koulè yo lekòl nan mawon ak blan soti lè yon fanm mete kostim mawon ak blan pase pa yon gwoup de moun diskite sou koulè lekòl, ak tout rès la se istwa. ansyen elèv Remakab gen ladan Izayi W. Reno, envanteur a nan endeksasyon a; ak Howard McClintic ak Charles Marshall, ki gen konpayi konstriksyon te ede bati Bridge la Golden Gate, George Washington Bridge la, Waldorf-Astoria Hotel Kannal Panama ak New York la.
Lekòl / kolèj / depatman / kou / kapasite
College of Arts ak Syans
A strong liberal arts education allows our students to think critically and creatively. We work across disciplines to solve today’s most challenging issues.
College of Biznis ak Ekonomi
Tomorrow’s business leaders need to think unconventionally and with integrity. We challenge our students to drive change inside and outside of the boardroom.
College of Edikasyon
We are committed to practical and progressive research that results in measurable changes within schools, clinics and national policy.
P.C. Rossin College of Jeni ak Syans aplike
Engineering is driven by humanity. Our students are problem-solvers who conduct research in an integrated and collaborative environment.
- Atizay, achitekti, and Design
- Byolojik Syans
- Chimik ak Biomolecular Jeni
- Sivil ak anviwònman Jeni
- Comparative and International Education
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Counseling Psychology
- Latè ak Syans anviwònman
- Educational Leadership
- Elektrik ak Odinatè Jeni
- Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Instructional Technology
- Journalism and Communication
- Materyèl Syans ak Jeni
- Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics
- Modèn Lang ak literatur
- Syans Politik
- Religion Studies
- School Psychology
- Sociology and Anthropology
- Special Education
- pwofesè Edikasyon
Asa Packer named his university “Lehigh” after his other passion, the railroad, despite suggestions from some to call it “Packer University”. It was founded to provide a well-rounded education for young men, combining a liberal and scientific education with the technical skills necessary to increase the prosperity of the region. According to William Bacon Stevens, the first president of the board of trustees, Asa Packer’s founding gift of $500,000 was the largest single endowment gift ever received by an institution of higher learning up to that time. mesye. Packer also provided for the first structure ever to be built by the young University on campus: “Packer Hall”, now known also as the University Center. An unusual Mansard Gothic edifice featuring a prominent bell tower, at which, upon a suggestion that it be composed of the less expensive brick, Packer declared that it would be made “of stone”. In the construction, a branch of the railroad was diverted to bring stone to the site.
Soti nan 1871 to 1891, Packer’s endowment allowed the institution to offer its education free of charge by competitive exam. nan 1879, Lehigh became the wealthiest institution of higher learning in the country, surpassing Harvard and Yale. sa a, plus its blend of engineering and liberal arts, attracted some of the nation’s brightest students, many of whom went on to distinguished careers in industry and engineering.
The formation of a College for engineering, or technical university, was quite a difficult project, as the entire subject of engineering education was obscure. A small number of colleges had commenced this, such as Stevens Institute of Technology in New Jersey and Harvard, Yale, and RPI in New York; MIT and Cornell were just being founded. The University of Pennsylvania opened a small school in 1852, for mining and materials, but which had closed at the onset of the Civil War. As W. Ross Yates notes: “No one knew with certainty how many years a course [a major; a degree] in engineering should take, or even what branches of engineering should be included within a university. The relationship between theory and practice was hazy.” A statement made years later by industrialist and Lehigh Trustee Eckley B. Coxe summarizes the problem succinctly: “Not knowing exactly what you want to do or the material you have to do it with, what is the best way of doing it?”
Unlike some other engineering schools of the day, Lehigh was envisioned rather as a university instead of an “institute of technology,” offering an education that was rooted in both scientific and classical traditions as espoused by John Amos Comenius. Initially there were five schools: four scientific (enjenyè sivil, jeni mekanik, mining and metallurgy, and analytical chemistry) and one of general literature. The latter would shortly evolve into “Courses in Arts and Science”, as it was known then, in the first decade of the new Century. Engineering curricula were both merged and expanded.
The stock market crash accompanying the Panic of 1893 was a major financial blow to the university, since its endowment was largely invested in stocks, particularly shares of Lehigh Valley Railroad donated by the founder. As a consequence, Lehigh decided to drop its Episcopal Churchaffiliation in 1897, allowing it to qualify for state and federal government aid.
The 1890s proved difficult in respects other than strictly financial. Because of the general recession, and due to some speculation that the University might have to resultingly close, enrollment dropped. Yet with the aid of Alumni, trustees, and the State of Pennsylvania, the young University pulled through. This era closed with the spectacular fire of the Physics building, avril 6, 1900. With the improved economy of the 1900s, the new century offered stronger horizons. The Physics building was quickly rebuilt. And with the sale of the Packer Estate’s interest in the Lehigh Valley Railroad (jen 1, 1900), the school ceased to be known as a “railroad university”. Fortuitously a new benefactor would take its stead: Bethlehem Steel.
During the Presidency of Thomas M. Drown, a debate would commence that would continue at Lehigh for much of the century: what would be the relative importance of the two other undergraduate Colleges, interior to the University, the Business and Liberal Arts schools, to the foundational Engineering? The College of Arts and Science was formally established in 1909. And based on the experience of Lehigh engineers who went into industry a College of Business & Economics was added in 1910. Lehigh’s business curriculum was unique in that it combined both the abstract emphasis on Economics seen in the Ivy League with the practical skills of management seen in more common business administration degrees given by other universities. During the Presidency of C. R. Richards (1922–1935), and with the influence of Eugene G. Grace (’99), President of Bethlehem Steel, it was then decided that the two other Colleges existed to serve the Engineering School.This was a decision consistent with the University’s founding, but it would be reversed after the Second World War.
Immediately prior to the Richards Presidency, under the leadership of engineer, lawyer, and naturalist, Henry Sturgis Drinker (’71) (1905-1920) Lehigh witnessed strong growth, with the construction of the John Fritz Engineering Lab (1910), and Taylor Gym (1914). Anplis de sa, plans were made for the Gothic inspired Alumni Memorial Building, designed by alumni T. C. Visscher (’99) ak J. L. Burley (’94). This was an elaborate project that would not be finished until the Richards Presidency. During Richards, Lehigh was not too negatively affected by the Depression, thanks to its stronger standing, good management, and the support of Bethlehem Steel. Internal development of the three undergraduate Colleges was emphasized. And critically, just before the Depression, two massive, and coterminous, projects were completed, lending the University much of its modern appearance. The first was a large addition to Linderman Library, doubling its size, and granting a Gothic reinterpretation to what was a Romanesque structure (1929); and secondly, Packard Lab (1929). Both enlargements of the Campus were designed by the firm of Visscher and Burley, again Gothic, with the latter accomplished through the generous gifts of James Ward Packard (’84), founder of the motor company.
For the fourth College at Lehigh, the College of Education, one must return for its generation to the dawn of the 20th century, and the Drown Presidency (1895–1904). Thomas M. Drown had done postgraduate work in Europe as well as the States, before landing a job as Chemistry Professor at Lafayette. Known there for the strength of his teaching, as well as for idiosyncratic views, he eventually took a position at MIT in 1885. This was however not before delivering a commencement address at Lehigh, 1883. The University was obviously impressed enough to invite him back to assume leadership in 12 ane. With Lehigh, President Drown was one of the first to posit general parity among all courses of study, with the position there were many roads leading to the goal of an educated, truth-seeking individual. Drown supported many interests, and of which was the encouragement of engineering graduate study, and the integration of Engineering with the Arts. But as a broad intellectual, he had many ancillary projects, with one being education for, and preparation of, prospective secondary school teachers. Yon 1902 course “Methods of Teaching History and Civics”, later evolved under the sympathetic Presidency of H. S. Drinker (1905-1920) to the beginnings of the College of Education, though then known as the “Depatman Filozofi, Sikoloji, and Education.” li te, and is presently, a strictly graduate course of study. President Drown died in office, Novanm 16, 1904.
But a continuing emphasis to the well-rounded graduate can be seen in the University’s approach to education degrees. As a solely graduate-level program, this is based on the principle that people need to learn primary subject matter well before they can learn how to teach it to others. Thus future teachers at Lehigh often take a five-year program earning both a bachelor’s degree in a specialized field and a master’s degree in Education. This latter degree, along with the Business College’s M.B.A., are among the most popular graduate programs in the University.
After World War Two, during the Presidency of Martin Dewey Whitaker, Lehigh’s 8th President, a pressing need arose to increase the range and depth of the University’s graduate engineering programs, as initially envisioned by Mr. Drown. This presented a difficult path for Lehigh, as to successfully do this, along the lines the administrators planned, it would involve many necessary and interdependent facets, tankou: knowledgeable Professors, ambitious students, a variety of degrees and class offerings, espas, equipment and both private and public funding. If the University was to acquire a graduate program in the sciences, math, and engineering of comparable quality and prestige as that of the undergraduate, support was critical, especially in regards to obtaining federal grants, such as from the National Science Foundation (NSF) and NASA.
Growth was arduous, as Lehigh had to compete with larger and better recognized institutions, such as Cornell, Chicago, aK, and Johns Hopkins. Sepandan, Bethlehem Steel did exist as a key private supporter. Dr. Martin Whitaker was a physicist, and former executive in the Manhattan Project, and under his reserved, though strong, leadership, Lehigh eventually prospered. Sou avril 10, 1957, and as part of a multi-phase plan of modernizing and expanding its business, Dr. Whitaker informed the Board of Trustees that Bethlehem Steel planned a research center for the top of South Mountain. The area was immediately in back of, and contiguous with, Lehigh. Conceived with the University in mind, the center would make much expensive equipment available to the school, while providing the company with a computing and development center. Anplis de sa, and as part of Steel’s greater plans, Lehigh attained 600 acres in Saucon Valley for a Sports and Field Complex. Malerezman, Dr. Whitaker could not see these plans to fruition, as he passed in office, Out 31, 1960.
After the short Presidency of Professor Harvey A. Neville (1960–1964), Dr. Willard Deming Lewis assumed office for what would be the longest Presidency at the University to date (1964–1982). With a background in physics and applied mathematics, and as an executive with Bell Laboratories, Dr. Lewis would go on to have one of the most successful, if unlikely, Presidencies. Though he did have a strong predilection for, and understanding of, rechèch, he had little previous experience with college teaching. Dr. Lewis oversaw women being first admitted as undergraduates, and he managed not only Bethlehem Steel’s expansion on the Mountaintop (as it is now known), but also the company’s aid in expanding the University’s own campus. A major addition was placed along the north side, adjacent to the town, and in between the roads Morton St. and Packer Avenue. Formerly civilian homes, this area provided much needed space for libraries, laboratwa, lecture halls, rechèch, and the long anticipated home to the College of Arts and Science, Maginnes Hall.
But it was in an unexpected area that would witness perhaps Dr. Lewis’s finest hour. Having a more personable, even disarming demeanor, as compared with Dr. Whitaker, this aided the president in getting along with staff and students, especially so the turbulent era of the latter 1960s and early 1970s. After years of protest and negotiation, matters came to a head in the spring semester, 1970. With the aid of various professors, including Dr. Francis Wuest of Psychology, Dr. Carey B. Joynt, trustee Monroe J. Rathbone, ak anpil lòt moun, it was decided at a special meeting of the Board, Me 2, to largely accede to the students request for a greater voice in University affairs, and establish “the Forum”, a joint student/faculty administrative body. It constituted a means by which students could formally suggest change and growth to the school. Interestingly, this occurred two days before the Kent State shootings, and served to quell any further unrest or unhappiness. Sou Me 7 Dr. Lewis presided over an all-university meeting, and declared himself in sympathy with the students, but appealed to them, concerning the nationwide call to “grèv”, that their consciences would remember the faculty. According to author and Professor W. Ross Yates, then Dean of the College of Arts and Science, “there were no further strikes.”
Progress continued under succeeding administrations, Peter Likins (1982–1997), Gregory C. Farrington (1998–2006), and Alice P. Gast (2006–2014). Due unfortunately to Bethlehem Steel’s failing health, its Mountaintop campus was purchased in 1986, through State aid. This would turn to be a parting gift, as it were. And because of an additional 750 acres granted by alumnus Donald B. Stabler (’30), nan 2012, Lehigh increased its holdings to 2400 kawo tè. Many new buildings went up. These included: The Campus Square (2002), providing an interesting new north entrance to the school, the Rauch Business Center (1990), and Zoellner Arts (1997).
As the new century gets under way, and Lehigh looks back at its Sesquicentennial, the campus has much of the new about it, and also much of the old. From the STEPS building (2010), to Seeley G. Mudd, to Zoellner, modern architecture has made good, though respectful, inroads. Yet with Linderman, the Grace Hall palaestra (1942, from E. G. Grace), the Alumni Memorial, and of course Packer Hall itself, Lehigh’s Gothic tradition is not mere past. Even a small 4 acre section of the campus remains from the 19th century when it was known as “Inivèsite Park”, at the corner of Packer and Brodhead Avenues. Sepandan, as education is an ever advancing and changing field, work always remains. Dr. Jan D. Simon, Chemist, assumes office for the fall semester, 2015, as Lehigh’s 14th President.
Eske ou vle discuss Lehigh University ? Nenpòt kesyon, kòmantè oswa revize
Pataje sa a info itil ak zanmi ou
Join to discuss of Lehigh University.
TANPRI REMAKE: EducationBro Magazine ba ou kapasite li enfòmasyon sou inivèsite a 96 lang, men nou mande w yo respekte lòt manm epi kite comments nan lang angle.