- University of Notre Dame
University of Notre Dame
University of Notre Dame bụ a onwe alụmdi na e hiwere na 1842.
Nkuzi ụgwọ na University of Notre Dame na- $48,000 (Aprox.).
Notre Dame dị na South Bend, Ind., dị nnọọ 100 kilomita na mpụga nke Chicago. Naanị freshmen na-chọrọ ibi na campus, ma ọtụtụ ụmụ akwụkwọ na-ekpebi ịghara on campus na otu nke 29 otu-mmekọahụ obibi Ụlọ Nzukọ Alaeze na. The Ụlọ Nzukọ Alaeze na-eje ozi dị ka ebe a ná ndụ na Notre Dame, dị ka e nweghị Greek ndụ on campus. akụkọ na-emeghị, ihe na-campus ụlọ oriri na ọṅụṅụ na ụlọ mmanya, bụ a na-ewu ewu ntụpọ nke na-ekiri Sporting ihe. The Notre Dame “alụ ọgụ Irish” -anya isi karịa 25 Varsity NCAA Nkewa m ịgba ọsọ ìgwè na-na-ọma mara ha anọgide ike football omume. Ihe karịrị ọkara nke ụmụ akwụkwọ na-amụ ná mba ọzọ n'ihi na ọ dịkarịa ala otu ọkara afọ agụmakwụkwọ.
Notre Dame nwere nkebi asatọ n'ụlọ akwụkwọ na kọleji, ndị kasị ibu nke bụ College nke Arts na Letters. Notre Dame’s graduate and professional programs include the highly ranked Mendoza College of Business and Law School in addition to a well-regarded School of Architecture, nke awade Undergraduate na gụsịrị akwụkwọ na mmemme. Ọwọrọiso Alumni agụnye mbụ U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, ọnụ na usu Régis Philbin na Ụlọ Nzukọ nke Maara Aha football player Joe Montana. The 1993 film “Rudy,” họọrọ otu n'ime top 25 sports fim nke gara aga 25 afọ site ESPN, e filmed na Notre Dame si campus na-egosi na akụkọ Daniel “Rudy” Ruettiger, bụ onye kwụsịrị ọtụtụ ihe mgbochi na-egwu football na Notre Dame.
Schools / Colleges / Departments / ọmụmụ / ikike iche
School of Architecture
guzosie ike 1898
2014 Enrollment: 168 Undergraduate, 43 gụsịrị akwụkwọ
College of Arts and Letters
guzosie ike 1842
2014 Enrollment: 1,914 Undergraduate, 1,128 gụsịrị akwụkwọ
- The Humanities
- Africana Studies
- American Studies (includes Journalism)
- ochie (includes Arabic Studies)
- East Asian asụsụ na omenala
- German and Russian Languages and Literatures
- Irish Language and Literature
- Program of Liberal Studies
- Romance Languages and Literatures
- The Arts
- Art, Art History, and Design
- Film, Television, and Theatre
- The Social Sciences
- Political Science
Mendoza College of Business
guzosie ike 1921
2014 Enrollment: 2,050 Undergraduate, 673 gụsịrị akwụkwọ
- Executive M.B.A.
- Executive Programs
- Master of Science in Accountancy
- Master of Science in Business Analytics
- Master of Science in Finance
- Master of Nonprofit Administration
- Master of Science in Management
College of Engineering
guzosie ike 1873
2014 Enrollment: 1,203 Undergraduate, 485 gụsịrị akwụkwọ
- Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering
- Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering & Earth Sciences
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Ọdụdọ Engineering
Keough School of Global Affairs
tọrọ ntọala 2014. Opening its doors to students in August 2017.
- Center for Civil and Human Rights
- Kellogg Institute for International Studies
- Keough-Naughton Institute for Irish Studies
- Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies
- Liu Institute for Asia and Asian Studies
- Nanovic Institute for European Studies
- Notre Dame Initiative for Global Development
College of Science
guzosie ike 1865
2014 Enrollment: 1,191 Undergraduate, 550 gụsịrị akwụkwọ
- Applied and Computational Mathematics and Statistics
- ndu Sciences
- Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Mgbakọ na mwepụ
- Preprofessional Studies
First Year of Studies
guzosie ike 1962
2014 Enrollment: 2,025 Undergraduate ụmụ akwụkwọ
The Ukpep School
guzosie ike 1918
2014 Enrollment: 2,200 gụsịrị akwụkwọ ụmụ akwụkwọ
The Law School
guzosie ike 1869
2013 Enrollment: 548 gụsịrị akwụkwọ ụmụ akwụkwọ
na 1842, the Bishop of Vincennes, Célestine Guynemer de la Hailandière, offered land to Father Edward Sorin of the Congregation of Holy Cross, on the condition that he build a college in two years.[ Fr. Sorin arrived on the site with eight Holy Cross brothers from France and Ireland on November 26, 1842, and began the school using Father Stephen Badin’s old log chapel. He soon erected additional buildings, including Old College, the first church, and the first main building. They immediately acquired two students and set about building additions to the campus.
Notre Dame began as a primary and secondary school, but soon received its official college charter from the Indiana General Assembly on January 15, 1844. Under the charter the school is officially named the University of Notre Dame du Lac (University of Our Lady of the Lake). Because the university was originally only for male students, the female-only Saint Mary’s College was founded by the Sisters of the Holy Cross near Notre Dame in 1844.
The first degrees from the college were awarded in 1849. The university was expanded with new buildings to accommodate more students and faculty. With each new president, new academic programs were offered and new buildings built to accommodate them. The original Main Building built by Fr. Sorin just after he arrived was replaced by a larger “Main Building” na 1865, which housed the university’s administration, klas, and dormitories. Beginning in 1873, a library collection was started by Father Lemonnier, housed in the Main Building, na site 1879 it had grown to ten thousand volumes.
This Main Building, and the library collection, was entirely destroyed by a fire in April 1879; school closed immediately and students were sent home. The university founder, Fr. Sorin, and the president at the time, the Rev. William Corby, immediately planned for the rebuilding of the structure that had housed virtually the entire University. Construction was started on May 17, and by the incredible zeal of administrator and workers the building was completed before the fall semester of 1879. The library collection was also rebuilt and stayed housed in the new Main Building for years afterwards. Around the time of the fire, a music hall was opened. Known as Washington Hall, it hosted plays and musical acts put on by the school. site 1880, a science program was established at the university, and a Science Hall (today LaFortune Student Center) was built in 1883. The hall housed multiple classrooms and science labs needed for early research at the university.
site 1890, individual residence halls were built to house the increasing number of students. William J. Hoynes was dean of the law school 1883-1919, and when its new building was opened shortly after his death it was renamed in his honor. The Rev. John Zahm C.S.C. became the Holy Cross Provincial for the United States (1896–1906), with overall supervision of the university. He tried to modernize and expand Notre Dame, erecting buildings and adding to the campus art gallery and library, and amassing what became a famous Dante collection. His term was not renewed by the Congregation because of fears he had expanded Notre Dame too quickly and had run the Holy Cross order into serious debt.
na 1919 Father James Burns became president of Notre Dame, and in three years he produced an academic revolution that brought the school up to national standards by adopting the elective system and moving away from the university’s traditional scholastic and classical emphasis. By contrast, the Jesuit colleges, bastions of academic conservatism, were reluctant to move to a system of electives; for this reason, their graduates were shut out of Harvard Law School. Notre Dame continued to grow over the years, adding more colleges, mmemme, and sports teams. site 1921, with the addition of the College of Commerce, Notre Dame had grown from a small college to a university with five colleges and a professional law school. The university continued to expand and add new residence halls and buildings with each subsequent president.
One of the main driving forces in the growth of the University was its football team, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. Knute Rocknebecame head coach in 1918. Under Rockne, the Irish would post a record of 105 Enwee Mmeri, 12 losses, and five ties. During his 13 years the Irish won three national championships, had five undefeated seasons, won the Rose Bowl in 1925, and produced players such as George Gipp and the “Four Horsemen”. Knute Rockne has the highest winning percentage (.881) in NCAA Division I/FBS football history. Rockne’s offenses employed the Notre Dame Box and his defenses ran a 7–2–2 scheme. The last game Rockne coached was on December 14, 1930 when he led a group of Notre Dame all-stars against the New York Giants in New York City.
The success of its football team made Notre Dame a household name. The success of Note Dame reflected rising status of Irish Americans and Catholics in the 1920s. Catholics rallied up around the team and listened to the games on the radio, especially when it knocked off the schools that symbolized the Protestant establishment in America — Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Army. Yet this role as high-profile flagship institution of Catholicism made it an easy target of anti-Catholicism. The most remarkable episode of violence was the clash between Notre Dame students and the Ku Klux Klan, a white supremacist and anti-catholic movement, na 1924. Nativism and anti-Catholicism, especially when directed towards immigrants, were cornerstones of the KKK’s rhetoric, and Notre Dame was seen as a symbol of the threat posed by the Catholic Church. The Klan decided to have a week-long Klavern in South Bend. Clashes with the student body started on March 17, when students, aware of the anti-Catholic animosity, blocked the Klansmen from descending from their trains in the South Bend station and ripped the KKK clothes and regalia. on May 19 thousands of students massed downtown protesting the Klavern, and only the arrival of college president Fr. Matthew Walsh prevented any further clashes. The next day, football coach Knute Rockne spoke at a campus rally and implored the students to obey the college president and refrain from further violence. A few days later the Klavern broke up, but the hostility shown by the students was an omen and a contribution to the downfall of the KKK in Indiana.
Holy Cross Father John Francis O’Hara was elected vice president in 1933 and president of Notre Dame in 1934. During his tenure at Notre Dame, he brought numerous refugee intellectuals to campus; he selected Frank H. Spearman, Jeremiah D. M. Ford, Irvin Abell, and Josephine Brownson for the Laetare Medal, instituted in 1883. O’Hara strongly believed that the Fighting Irish football team could be an effective means to “acquaint the public with the ideals that dominate” Notre Dame. He wrote, “Notre Dame football is a spiritual service because it is played for the honor and glory of God and of his Blessed Mother. When St. Paul said: ‘Whether you eat or drink, or whatsoever else you do, do all for the glory of God,’ he included football.”
The Rev. John J. Cavanaugh, C.S.C. served as president from 1946 ka 1952. Cavanaugh’s legacy at Notre Dame in the post-war years was devoted to raising academic standards and reshaping the university administration to suit it to an enlarged educational mission and an expanded student body and stressing advanced studies and research at a time when Notre Dame quadrupled in student census, undergraduate enrollment increased by more than half, and graduate student enrollment grew fivefold. Cavanaugh also established the Lobund Institute for Animal Studies and Notre Dame’s Medieval Institute. Cavanaugh also presided over the construction of the Nieuwland Science Hall, Fisher Hall, and the Morris Inn, as well as the Hall of Liberal Arts (now O’Shaughnessy Hall), made possible by a donation from I.A. O’Shaughnessy, at the time the largest ever made to an American Catholic university. He also established a system of advisory councils at the university, which continue today and are vital to the university’s governance and development.
The Rev. Theodore Hesburgh, C.S.C., (1917–2015) served as president for 35 afọ (1952–87) of dramatic transformations. In that time the annual operating budget rose by a factor of 18 si $9.7 million to $176.6 nde, and the endowment by a factor of 40 si $9 million to $350 nde, and research funding by a factor of 20 si $735,000 ka $15 nde. Enrollment nearly doubled from 4,979 ka 9,600, faculty more than doubled 389 ka 950, and degrees awarded annually doubled from 1,212 ka 2,500.
Hesburgh is also credited with transforming the face of Notre Dame by making it a coeducational institution. In the mid-1960s Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s College developed a co-exchange program whereby several hundred students took classes not offered at their home institution, an arrangement that added undergraduate women to a campus that already had a few women in the graduate schools. After extensive debate, merging with St. Mary’s was rejected, primarily because of the differential in faculty qualifications and pay scales. “In American college education,” explained the Rev. Charles E. Sheedy, C.S.C., Notre Dame’s Dean of Arts and Letters, “certain features formerly considered advantageous and enviable are now seen as anachronistic and out of place…. In this environment of diversity, the integration of the sexes is a normal and expected aspect, replacing separatism.” Thomas Blantz, C.S.C., Notre Dame’s Vice President of Student Affairs, added that coeducation “opened up a whole other pool of very bright students.” Two of the male residence halls were converted for the newly admitted female students that first year, while two others were converted for the next school year. na 1971 Mary Ann Proctor became the first female undergraduate; she transferred from St. Mary’s College. na 1972, Angela Sienko, who earned a bachelor’s degree in marketing, became the first woman graduate from the university.
na 18 years under the presidency of Edward Malloy, C.S.C., (1987–2005), there was a rapid growth in the school’s reputation, ngalaba, and resources. He increased the faculty by more than 500 professors; the academic quality of the student body has improved dramatically, with the average SAT score rising from 1240 ka 1360; the number of minority students more than doubled; the endowment grew from $350 million to more than $3 ijeri; the annual operating budget rose from $177 million to more than $650 nde; and annual research funding improved from $15 million to more than $70 nde. Notre Dame’s most recent (2014) capital campaign raised $2.014 ijeri, far exceeding its goal of $767 nde, and is the largest in the history of Catholic higher education and the largest of any University without a medical school.
ebe ọ bụ na 2005, Notre Dame has been led by John I. Jenkins, C.S.C., the 17th president of the university. Jenkins took over the position from Malloy on July 1, 2005. In his inaugural address, Jenkins described his goals of making the university a leader in research that recognizes ethics and building the connection between faith and studies. During his tenure, Notre Dame has increased its endowment, enlarged its student body, and undergone many construction projects on campus, including Compton Family Ice Arena, a new architecture hall, additional residence halls, and the Campus Crossroads, a $400m enhancement and expansion of Notre Dame Stadium.
Ị chọrọ discuss University of Notre Dame ? ajụjụ ọ bụla, comments ma ọ bụ reviews
Ọria bara uru Ama na ndị enyi gị
Join to discuss of University of Notre Dame.
BIKO RỤBA AMA: EducationBro Magazine na-enye gị inwe ike ịgụ Ama banyere mahadum na 96 asụsụ, ma anyị na-arịọ gị ka ị na-akwanyere ndị ọzọ so na ịhapụ ihe na English.