- Queen Mary University of London
Queen Mary University of London
Saib ib muag
Queen Mary University of London is one of the UK’s leading research-focused higher education institutions. With around 21,187 me nyuam kawm ntawv, 4,000 staff and an annual turnover of £300m, we are one of the biggest University of London colleges.
We teach and research across a wide range of subjects in the humanities, Social sciences, txoj cai, medicine and dentistry, and science and engineering. Based in a creative and culturally diverse area of east London, we are the only London university able to offer a completely integrated 2,000-bed residential campus at our Mile End home.
Queen Mary has made a strategic commitment to the highest quality of research. We have invested in this principle by systematically recruiting the best academics in their disciplines from around the world. The results of the most recent national assessment of research – the Research Excellence Framework (NYOB 2014) – have confirmed our place in the very top group of research-led universities in the UK. Overall we were ranked 9th in the UK among multi-faculty universities and 5th in the UK for the percentage of our 3* thiab 4* research outputs.
Queen Mary offers outstanding students a stimulating, supportive and high-quality learning experience, with teaching inspired by our world-leading research. We have also invested more than £250m in new facilities over the last fifteen years to offer our students an exceptional learning environment. This is reflected in our consistently high levels of student satisfaction. In the most recent National Student Survey (NSS 2015), 88 per cent of our undergraduates expressed ‘overall satisfaction’ with their time here, with twelve subjects in the top three in London.
Tsev kawm ntawv / Qib siab / Saib xyuas / Kev kawm / Faculties
Kws qhia ntawv Humanities thiab Social Sciences
- School of Business and Management
- School of Economics and Finance
- School of English and Drama
- Department of English
- Department of Drama
- School of Languages, Linguistics and Film
- Comparative ntawv nyeem
- Film Studies
- Iberian and Latin American Studies
- Language Centre
- Lavxias teb sab
- School of Geography
- Tsev kawm ntawv txog keeb kwm
- Tsev kawm ntawv txog txoj cai
- Centre for Commercial Law Studies
- Department of Law
- School of Politics and International Relations
Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry
- Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry
- Barts Cancer Institute
- The Blizard Institute
- Institute of Dentistry
- Institute of Health Sciences Education
- William Harvey Research Institute
- Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine
- The Centre of the Cell
Faculty of Science and Engineering
- School of Biological and Chemical Sciences
- School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science
- Lub computer Science
- Electronic Engineering
- School of Engineering and Materials Science
- Interdisciplinary Research Centre in Biomedical Materials
- School of Mathematical Sciences
- School of Physics and Astronomy
- Research Centre in Psychology
Queen Mary has its roots in four historic colleges: Queen Mary College, Westfield College, St Bartholomew’s Hospital Medical College and the London Hospital Medical College.
The Mile End campus is historically the home of Queen Mary College, which began life in 1887 as the People’s Palace, a philanthropic centre to provide east Londoners with educational, cultural and social activities. Queen Mary College was admitted to the University of London in 1915. Westfield College was founded in 1882 in Hampstead as a pioneering college for the higher education of women. Nyob rau hauv 1989 Queen Mary merged with Westfield College to form Queen Mary and Westfield College.
Nyob rau hauv 1995, Queen Mary and Westfield merged again, this time with two distinguished medical colleges, St Bartholomew’s Hospital Medical College, raws txoj cai nyob rau hauv 1843, and the London Hospital Medical College, England’s first medical school, founded hauv 1785. This merger created Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistryand brought clinical medical and dental teaching to Queen Mary for the first time.
Nyob rau hauv 2013, the legal name of Queen Mary and Westfield College, University of London was officially changed to Queen Mary University of London to reflect common usage. This year also saw Queen Mary decide to award its own degrees, with the 2014 graduates being the first to receive them.
The College’s Archives hold a wealth of fascinating institutional archives and rare prints, dating from the 17th Century to the present day. The collections provide an insight into some of the scholarly activities of QMUL staff and students in the past, documenting the rich history of QMUL.
Did you know?
- We have the second oldest surviving Jewish cemetery in England, a Spanish Portuguese Jewish cemetery dating from 1726, in the centre of our campus.
- The skeleton of Joseph Merrick, the Elephant Man, is housed in the School of Medicine and Dentistry’s Pathology Museum.
- The Medical College of the Royal London Hospital (now part of Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry) was England’s first medical school when it opened in 1785.
- From 1964 mus txog 1982 Queen Mary College maintained its own nuclear reactor, initially sited beneath Mile End Road.
- Elizabeth Blackwell, the first fully qualified female doctor in the UK, trained at Barts Hospital Medical College in 1850.
- Sir John Vane, who founded the William Harvey Research Institute, is credited with discovering how aspirin and similar drugs produced their effects.
- Sir Walter Besant’s 1882 novel All Sorts and Condition of Men – An Impossible Story, imagined a ‘Palace of Delights’ in east London with concert halls, reading rooms, picture galleries, art school and education for local people – this was the inspiration for The People’s Palace and the start of Queen Mary today.
koj puas xav discuss Queen Mary University of London ? Lus nug, tuag los sis kev
Muab cov no pab ntxiv yog pab tau rau koj cov phooj ywg
Join to discuss of Queen Mary University of London.
THOV NCO NTSOOV: EducationBro Magazine ua kom koj muaj peev xwm yuav pab ntxiv yog kev tebchaws nyob 96 haiv lus, tab sis, peb hais kom koj mus hwm lwm cov neeg thiab sau lus Askiv.