- University of Nantes
University of Nantes
With 34,000 students (including 3,750 foreign students) and 4,250 staff, 50% of which is dedicated to research, 1 out of 12 Nantes residents works or studies at Université de Nantes. True cultural, sports and society contributor, our universtity also encourages the revitalization of its region by enriching public debate and by stimulating creativity : conferences, up to date media equipment, artists-in-residence programs, high-level sports, student commitment through 150 student organisations.
Within its campuses, different disciplines meet to enrich one another. Université de Nantes is one of the rare French universities to promote interdisciplinarity. Within 21 faculties and schools, 295 specialities are represented and 63 laboratories work in all fields of knowledge. 75% of them are A and A+ rated.
Université de Nantes enjoys the major assets needed to encourage local, national and international cooperation and to make interdisciplinary a factor of innovation and success. It contributes to the innovation of the socioeconomic make-up thanks to its researchers, laboratories, equipment and state-of-the-art technological platforms. Furthermore, recent university graduates (8,000 every year) constitute a tremendous pool of skills and talent. By getting involved in local issues while keeping an international perspective, Université de Nantes shows its capacity to work with the new scales of territory. This is essential to any development.
- 33,534 students in initial training
- 4,047 staff members professors and researchers, administrative, technical and library staff.
- 295 diplomas based on the European model (Bachelor-Master-Doctorate)
- 80 curricula with a professional contract
- 31 curricula en apprentissage
- 8 engineering diplomas
- 111 university degrees
- 21 academic departments
- 11 faculties and training and research units (UFR)
- 8 institutes
- 1 engineering school
- 1 observatory of Earth and planetary sciences
- 1 doctoral college with 8 doctoral schools
- 63 research structures
Schools / Colleges / Departments / Courses / Faculties
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Psychology
- Faculty of Science and Technology
- Faculty of Law and Political Science
- Department of History, Art History and Achaeology
- Department of Humanties and Languages
- Department of Foreign languages and cultures
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Science and Technology of Physical Activities and Sports (STAPS)
- Institute of Geography and Regional Planning of Université de Nantes (IGARUN)
- Institute of Economics and Management – Institute of Business Administration (IEMN-IAE)
- Institute for Research and Education in French as a Foreigh Language (IRFFLE)
- Teacher training school (ESPE)
- Institute of Preparation for General Administration (IPAG)
- University Institute of Technology (IUT) of Nantes
- University Institute of Technology (IUT) of Saint-Nazaire
- University Institute of Technology (IUT) of La Roche-sur-Yon
School of Engineering – Polytech Nantes
The current University was founded in 1970 under the terms of the 1968 law which reformed French higher education. This newly established institution replaced the former University of Nantes which had been founded in the early 1960s. This itself was a re-establishment of the original University of Nantes which was established by papal bull in 1460 but was abolished during the French Revolution.
The university of Brittany is found by Bertrand Milon on April 4, 1460, at the initiative of the duke François II of Brittany under the form of a papal bull of the Pope Pie II given to Sienne. This embodies the wish of François II to affirm his independence towards the French king, while near the duchy in Angers in 1432, Poitier in 1432 and Bordeaux in 1441, some universities are created. Found under the structure of a studium generale, this university can teach all traditional disciplines: Arts, Theology, Law and Medecin. The number of students between the end of the 15th century and during the two following centuries reach a thousand or 1500, according to the highest estimates.
The first attempt to move the university of Nantes to Rennes takes place at the end of the 16th century. French king, Henry IV wants to punish Nantes, a ligueuse ville pour its support of the duke of Mercoeur. The university receives an order from the king by a letter of August 8, 1589 to mouve to Rennes, a city remains loyal to the monarchy. The institution is however not moved because of financial issue. A new letter of September 5, 1591 from the king reiterate the order of transfer, but again without application. On April 1598, a last king’s letter stabilise the situation by confirming the establishment of the university in Nantes.
Do you want discuss University of Nantes ? Any question, comments or reviews
Share this useful info with your friends
Join to discuss of University of Nantes.
PLEASE NOTE: EducationBro Magazine gives you ability to read info about universities at 96 languages, but we ask you to respect other members and leave comments in English.