- Irkutsk State University
Irkutsk State University
Irkutsk State University was founded in October 1918 in Irkutsk.
Nowadays Irkutsk State University is a large scientific and educational institution training students in humanities, natural, technical and applied sciences. ISU facilities include 7 educational institutions, 10 faculties, 1 branch in Bratsk, the scientific library that is one of the largest University libraries in Russia. ISU offers bachelor, master, post-graduate programs for more than 18000 students that have opportunity to specialize under the supervision of world-known scientists.
Among other facilities Irkutsk State University has the Center for Advanced Training and Retraining, 3 research institutes, Interregional Institute of Social Sciences, Center for New Information Technologies, Baikal Research and Education Center, department for post-graduate and doctoral courses, scientific libraries, astronomical observatory and botanic garden.
The University faculties and institutions are located in 9 educational buildings in Irkutsk and in Bratsk. The majority of these buildings are of great historical and architectural value. They date back to the 18th-19th centuries. Senior students of all the faculties have specialized courses and internship in laboratories and scientific research institutions of ISU and Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
For decades, Irkutsk University has trained more than 80 thousand highly qualified specialists, famous scientists, teachers, writers, and statesmen, including State Prize winners and famous talented writers V. Rasputin, A. Vampilov, and M. Sergeev.
Despite the geographical distance from the capital of Russia, Moscow, Irkutsk and Irkutsk Oblast, a picturesque region of the country, nevertheless have a rich history, Siberian climate, and great opportunities for visiting students and residents alike.
1. The Irkutsk Oblast is located in the very heart of Siberia. Its capital is the city of Irkutsk. The distance from Moscow to Irkutsk is five thousand kilometres. The oblast ranks 6th out of the 20 political regions in Siberia in terms of area. The airport enjoys international status with connections to several nearby nations.
2. The history of the Irkutsk Oblast takes its beginning in 1682 when the Domain (Voivode) of Irkutsk was formed which was then restructured into a province in 1719. In the whole of the oblast, there are 2.700.000 residents accounting for 30% of the entire population of Eastern Siberia. The main city of this territory is the city of Irkutsk, founded in 1661, and maintaining to this day more than 600,000 people.
3. The Irkutsk Oblast is characterised as having a sharply continental climate with very long and cold winters with little atmospheric precipitation. Nevertheless, the summers are rather warm and humid. The average yearly temperature doesn’t excede 0ºC anywhere in the oblast.
In the coldest month of winter, January, the temperature ranges from -20 to -50ºC. In July, the warmest month, the average temperature is +18ºC with a maximum temperature of +37ºC. The longest season is winter, lasting on average 180-200 days. Particularly in winter do you have the unique opportunity to contemplate and enjoy the winter beauty of the city, region, and Baikal. Regarding the number of sunny days, Irkutsk and the southern part of the oblast are comparable to Southern California, averaging 300 days of sunshine per year.
4. Irkutsk today is a major industrial, academic, and cultural center. The city is fairly well situated on the banks of the Angara river, 65 km from lake Baikal.
Irkutsk is home to one of the branches of the Scientific Academy, maintaining eight institutes of science. There are ten universities, sixty-eight libraries, eighty schools, a drama theatre, musical theatre, puppet theatre, children’s theatre, organ hall, entertainment venues, restaurants, and a multitude of cafes, all located in Irkutsk.
Schools / Colleges / Departments / Courses / Faculties
- Baikal International Business School
- Institute of Mathematics, Economics and Informatics
- Institute of Social Sciences
- International Institute of Economics and Linguistics
- Pedagogical Institute
- Law Institute
- Faculty of Biology and Soil Studies
- Faculty of Geography
- Faculty of Geology
- Faculty of History
- Faculty of Psychology
- Faculty of Religious Studies and Theology
- Faculty of Service and Advertising
- Faculty of Philology and Journalism
- Faculty of Physics
- Faculty of Chemistry
Irkutsk State University was founded on October 27, 1918.
It gave the impulse toward the development of higher education in Siberia and Russian Far East. Irkutsk State University became the major educational, scientific and cultural center on the vast territory of Eastern Siberia at once. At first there were only two faculties at the University: the Faculty of History and Philology and the Law Faculty.
|1919||The opening of Eastern Department where Sanskrit, Mongolian, Chinese, Tibetan, and Japanese were taught. Physics-Mathematics Faculty was founded.|
|1920||Medical branch becomes an independent Faculty.|
|1930||Reorganization of the university: medicine, finance-economics, and pedagogy institutes were founded.|
|1941-1945||During the Great Patriotic War more than 100 members of the university staff went to the front.|
|1947||The physics and chemistry scientific research institute was established as a part of the university|
|1949||The Geology Faculty was formed.
The Branch of the East-Siberian Academy of Sciences was opened in Irkutsk.
|1950s||Researchers from the university along with colleagues of the Irkutsk Geological Survey and the Eastern-Siberian branch of the Academy of Sciences took part in the roject resulted in the construction of the hydroelectric power plants in Irkutsk and Bratsk.|
|1954||The Law Faculty was opened.|
|1959||Computer center equipped with an electronic computing machine (ECM) was opened.|
|1966||Start of constructing a new university building in Akademgorodok. The building was opened in 1973.|
|end of 1960s||A new four-storeyed university building was constructed for four faculties and their departments.|
|1970||The integrated Soviet-Mongolian Khubsugul expedition was launched in conjunction with the university and the Mongolian State University with the active participation of scientists from the Siberian Branch of the Academy of Sciences and other universities from Irkutsk. The participants in the expedition led a joint study of natural waters of the water basin of the Khubsugul lake and mineral waters of Mongolia. They published the “Atlas of Khubsugul Lake” and the map “Mineral Waters of Mongolia.”|
|1991||ISU came under the control of the State Committee of Science and Higher Education of RSFSR (Russia)|
|1993||The Faculty of Psychology and Social Work was opened.|
|1998||Baikal Deep Underwater Neutrino Telescope was launched into use and to this day remains the only active telescope of its kind in the world.|
|2000||In the Tunkinskaya Valley the wide-angled cherenkovsky installation for applied physics was commissioned.|
|2001||The Interregional Institute of Social Sciences was formed to carry-out the project “Siberia in Russia and the World: Calls for Strategies for Development.”|
|2011||ISU, along with 55 other universities in Russia, won the contest organized by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation for the support of programs for the strategic
development. The program provided support for scientific research and creation of a scientific-education complex in conjunction with the institutes of the Irkutsk scientific center
of the Siberian Branch of the Academy of Sciences.
|2013||The Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation announced the inclusion of the Irkutsk State Pedagogical Institute under ISU.|
Do you want discuss Irkutsk State University ? Any question, comments or reviews
Share this useful info with your friends
Join to discuss of Irkutsk State University.
PLEASE NOTE: EducationBro Magazine gives you ability to read info about universities at 96 languages, but we ask you to respect other members and leave comments in English.