- Saint Petersburg State University of Aerospace Instrumentation
Saint Petersburg State University of Aerospace Instrumentation
Saint Petersburg State University of Aerospace Instrumentation Details
- Country : Russian Federation
- City : Saint Petersburg
- Acronym : SUAI
- Founded : 1941
- Students (approx.) : 10000
- Don't forget to discuss Saint Petersburg State University of Aerospace Instrumentation
The history of Saint Petersburg State University of Aerospace Instrumentation as well as its goals and objectives are due to its profile. The University was founded in hard early forties and it still keeps moving upwards. Within more than 70 years the University has grown from a narrowly-specialized restricted admission institute to become a major research and education center. We are particularly proud of the fact that at the same time we managed to maintain all our traditional educational fields. We have retained one of the unique education profiles, Aerospace Instrumentation. The first artificial satellite in 1957, Yuri Gagarin’s flight in 1961 and the successful launch of Buran spacecraft in 1988 are among the achievements of Soviet astronautics accomplished due to our staff, students and graduates. In 2011 SUAI headed the North West Aerospace Cluster. However, our University is nowadays not just about space and aviation. Its new educational fields include innovation studies and informatics, data protection and international relations, law, linguistics and many others.
The University currently consists of 6 institutes, 6 faculties and more than 40 departments and it offers over 200 educational programs. The admission quotas and enrollment competition are increasing every year.
We also develop new ways of educational organization. A number of further education, supplementary training and professional retraining programs are implemented by SUAI. The University also offers Applied Bachelor’s Degree programs, which appeared in Russia as recently as 2013.
Degrees awarded by SUAI are appreciated in Russia and abroad. At the moment more than 600 students from 39 countries are studying at our University as well as our students and staff regularly participate in exchange programs and internships. USA, Canada, Italy, France, Spain, Finland and China are just a few countries we cooperate with.
Higher education is like a launching pad. We provide a successful start and the achievements of our graduates prove it. Many of our graduates have become leading scientists, heads of national science and industry institutions and statesmen.
We are always glad to meet new students and new partners.
Get closer to stars with the SUAI!
Rector of SUAI
Yulia A. Antokhina
SUAI in brief
- 90 percent of our lecturing faculty have advanced scientific degrees, one in five lecturers a PhD
- 13 institutes and faculties, over 40 departments, advanced degree programs
- Secure future: the opportunity to work within the field chosen and be successful in any country, which is supported by many graduates working both in Russia and abroad, in the USA, Italy, Israel, Canada, etc.
- Upgraded and updated computer-aided training
- The North-West Center for New Informational Technologies with algorithms of data collection and program design
- The Musical Informatics and Acoustics Laboratory
- The RUNNet Educational Information Center
- Laboratories, studies and lecture rooms equipped with modern facilities
- Student Labor Team and Student Experimental Laboratory (STELA)
- University Library is among the city’s best university libraries; with over one million volumes in its permanently replenished and renewed collection and modern information and copying facilities and the automated library system in its bibliography department.
The SUAI is not only high-standard education in engineering, economics, law and humanities. It also provides a solid basis for personal development in diverse creative skills, sports achievements and social activities.
The SUAI cultural life, sports achievements and the proactive attitude to life are our University’s pride.
A large number of students enjoy extra-curricular activities: the amateur theatrical society, the SUAI Choir, the Club for the Funny and Quick-Witted, a Photo Studio, the Aerobrain Intellectual Games Club, a film studio, the Students’ Press Center. The Students’ Trade Union Committee and the Students’ Council engage the SUAI students into their activities.
Each year the University holds an artistic competition, the SUAI Talent Show, which is traditionally organized in several steps, with both the number of participants and the level of performance growing year by year.
The most popular sports event in the SUAI is the annual Students’ Games, in which teams of all the faculties and institutes compete, making the Games a minor counterpart of the Olympics and the Universiade. The SUAI also holds football, basketball, street ball, volleyball, wrestling and bowling tournaments. Our University finds especial pride in organized in honour of the famous SUAI graduates — Natalya Vorobyova, the Olympic Champion in Freestyle Wrestling, and Victor Khryapa, the winner of the European Basketball Championship.
We widely celebrate public and national holidays: the New Year’s Eve, the Defender of the Motherland Day, the International Women’s Day, St. Valentine’s Day, the Shrovetide, the International Cosmonautics Day. We host the annual University Week with the SUAI students’ Open-Air.
Every new academic year starts for the students of the SUAI with the Day of Knowledge and the Matriculation Ceremonies. As for the graduates of the University, very cheerful, funny and colourful performances are staged for them, with the SUAI students actively engaged in preparation and conduct.
The SUAI continues to be in touch with its graduates. To celebrate the 65th and the 70th anniversary of the University’s establishment two grand Alumni Reunions were held at the St. Petersburg Ice Palace and about 10,000 SUAI graduates from all over the world arrived at each of them.
The University provides with all the necessary conditions not only for education, but for cultural and artistic life as well, allowing its students to become balanced and sound personalities.
Schools / Colleges / Departments / Courses / Faculties
Institute of Aerospace Instruments and Systems (Institute №1)
Institute of Radio Engineering, Electronics and Communications (Institute №2)
Institute of Innovative Technologies in Electromechanics and Robotics (Institute №3)
Institute of Computing Systems and Programming (Institute №4)
Institute of Information Systems and Information Security (Institute №5)
Institute for Innovation and Master Degree Basic Training (IBMP Institute)
Faculty of Humanities (Faculty №6)
- Department of History and Philosophy
- Department of Advertising and Modern Communications
- Department of Foreign Languages
- Department of Physical Education and Sports
- Oriental Department
- Research and Education Center for Religion, Philosophy and Culture Studies
Institute of Entrepreneurship Technologies (Institute №8)
Faculty of Law (Faculty №9)
- In 1950s the enrollment rose to as many as 3000 accompanied by the staff growths. Postgraduate programs were initiated.
- 1960 – the building at Bolshaya Morskaya street, 67, was given to the Institute to meet the demand in larger educational facilities.
- 1961-1962 – reorganization of the faculties. The Faculty of Computing and RadioElectronic Systems was made a separate unit (former within the Faculty of Radio Engineering). The Faculty of Instrumentation was divided into the Faculty of Instruments and the Faculty of Flying Vehicles Automation.
- 1962 – Faculty of part-time education was founded.
- 1963 – Faculty of Electronic Devices and Computer Techniques was added to the University structure.
- 1969 – Courses for retraining and skill improvement for engineers and lecturers were founded.
- 1970 – Preliminary department and preliminary courses for university applicants were founded.
- 1980 – The enrollment increased 6000. With significant amount of the research work, the Institute structure included 7 faculties with 32 departments.
In the 1980s new development strategy was developed. Two student hostels were added, the number of PhDs among the teaching staff increased, research expanded, new specialties were introduced.
- 1991 – Faculty of Humanities was formed.
- 1992 – Leningrad Institute of Aviation Instrumentation was renamed into the State Academy of Aerospace Instrumentation (SAAI).
- In the 1990s the University’s international activity started with cooperation, joint programs and research projects with the universities of the USA, the UK, France, Belgium, China, Germany, Japan and other countries.
- 1998 – the Academy obtained the status of University following the Decision by the Board of the Ministry of General and Professional Education. The University received its current name of the Saint Petersburg State University of Aerospace Instrumentation (SUAI).
- 1999 – The UNESCO Department on Distant Education in Engineering was founded.
- 1999 – Anatoly A. Ovodenko was elected the Rector of SUAI.
- 2006 – The University held a 65thanniversary celebration at the St. Petersburg Ice Palace to give rise to the tradition of ambitious alumni gatherings.
- 2011 – The University celebrated its 70th anniversary and the 50th anniversary of the first human space flight. 9000 graduates joined the celebration at the St. Petersburg Ice Palace.
- 2014 – The University Rector became Yulia A. Antokhina, a SUAI graduate of 1999. Anatoly A. Ovodenko was elected the University President.
Do you want discuss Saint Petersburg State University of Aerospace Instrumentation ? Any question, comments or reviews
Share this useful info with your friends
Join to discuss of Saint Petersburg State University of Aerospace Instrumentation.
PLEASE NOTE: EducationBro Magazine gives you ability to read info about universities at 96 languages, but we ask you to respect other members and leave comments in English.