- Southern Federal University
Southern Federal University
Southern Federal University is a modern research university with emphasis on innovations and entrepreneurship. In its academic activities it combines studies with fundamental and applied science, as well as cutting-edge technologies and innovative approaches.
SFedU traces its history back to 1915.
The University’s position in the national university rankings provides persuasive evidence to its achievements, a positive image and a passion for excellence: SFedU was awarded the 5th place in the Annual Independent National University Rankings.
Over 33 thousand SFedU students (the 2015 data) have already had the opportunity to appreciate the advantages of studying at SFedU, some of which are listed below.
- The deserved top place occupied by SFedU in the academic rankings of Russian universities; the well-established traditions maintained by SFedU in the area of education and research; the image which is positive and looks attractive to the prospective applicant
- Diverse opportunities of postgraduate and further education; the well-developed network of university branches in the South of Russia
- A leading position in the area of innovations and research; integration of research into education; a winning combination of fundamental and applied research; highly reputed schools of thought; open-minded and creative teaching staff; up-to-date research facilities and appliances; collaboration with the Russian Academy of Sciences and international research facilities
- Extensive supportive infrastructure for increased efficiency of professional and research training (Research & Education Centers, Centers providing public access to research facilities, scientific journals published by SFedU, SFedU Publishing Center, etc.)
- Great diversity and flexibility of study programsSFedU applicants can pick and choose from a range of Bachelor, Master, and Doctorate degree programs in a broadest range of sciences and humanities: history, philosophy, art, economics, law, psychology, biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, computer science. Each program contains a number of core courses, but apart from them students can choose between elective courses. It is also possible to apply for several programs.
- Up-to-date research facilities and opportunities for young researchers
SFedU is proud of its numerous research institutes dating back to the Soviet era, but equipped with cutting-edge facilities. Award-winning researchers holding over 150 international patents work and teach at SFedU. SFedU researchers strive to exchange experience with foreign colleagues and frequently visit international conferences. High Scopus citation score bears evidence to the importance of our scientific publications.
- Well-established century-old traditions maintained by SFedU
SFedU history dates back to 1915, and since then the university has gained a strong reputation for the achievements of its faculty and researchers, as well as students and graduates. Nobel Prize winner Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn is among them.
- The global stength of our reputation and qualifications. International dimension
SFedU strives to make sure that all the study programs we offer are kept in line with international standards and the principles of the Bologna Declaration. There are 28 programs that have undergone international accreditation. SFedU maintains partnership links with numerous highly-reputed universities and research centers worldwide. We foster diversity and welcome international exchange and cooperation.
Southern Federal University (SFedU) is a major academic, scientific and cultural hub which was one of the first federal universities to appear in Russia. Today SFedU is an innovative research university that provides its students with comprehensive education, maintained through integration between the educational process and the fundamental and applied scientific research, based upon cutting edge technologies and techniques.
The university trains highly-skilled experts in the fields of natural sciences, engineering, humanities, architecture and arts, pedagogy.
At present SFedU offers 53 Bachelor’s degree programmes, 80 Master’s degree programmes (including 200 specialized Master’s courses), 18 Specialist degree programmes, as well as 25 postgraduate educational research programmes.
Traditionally in SFedU special attention is given to the education of foreign students because we offer qualified education at the global standard, focused on producing competent professionals who are capable of being successful in their fields in any country of the world. SFedU has been training international experts since 1948. During this period over 7000 professionals from 120 countries have graduated from SFedU.
Southern Federal Uni
versity is the largest university in the South of Russia, the region which has long been known for its multicultural traditions and hospitality. The University’s location adds to its uniqueness. Most of SFedU faculties and departments are located in Rostov-on-Don which is a beautiful southern city, a major industrial and cultural hub located on the bank of scenic River Don, and also the capital of Donskoi Krai. The technical faculties of SFedU are situated in Taganrog in Taganrog Bay of the Sea of Azov.
Rostov-on-Don is the regional centre, and Donskoi Krai is a big Russian region which has historically been the home to Don Cossacks. The Cossack region is famous for its original culture and interesting history. Donskoi krai is the homeland of great Russian authors A. P. Chekhov and M. A. Sholokhov.
Schools / Colleges / Departments / Courses / Faculties
- Academy of Architecture and Fine Arts
- Academy of Biology and Biotechnologies
- Academy of Psychology and Educational Sciences
- Academy of Physical Culture and Sport
- Higher School of Business
- Institute for Advanced Technologies and Piezotechnics
- Institute of History and International Relations
- Institute for Mathematics, Mechanics, and Computer Science in the name of I.I. Vorovich
- Institute for Earth Sciences
- Institute for Sociology and Regional Studies
- Institute of Philology, Journalism, and Intercultural Communications
- Institute of Philosophy and Social and Political Studies
- Faculty of Management
- Faculty of Physics
- Faculty of Chemistry
- Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of Law
Southern Federal University (SFedU), along with Siberian Federal University, was founded as the pilot project of new federal universities establishments. Currently, there are only ten federal universities in Russia. SFedU embraces four former higher educational establishments of the Rostov region: Rostov State University tracing back to 1915 the year Imperial Warsaw University was transferred to the city of Rostov;Rostov State Teachers’ Training University formed in 1930 out of the Teachers’ Training Faculty within North Caucasian University; Taganrog State Radio Engineering University founded in 1952; and Rostov State Academy of Architecture and Artformed in 1988 on the basis of the Faculty of Architecture within Rostov Civil Engineering Institute.
In July 2010, Southern Federal University acquired the status of an autonomouseducational institution. Greater autonomy will enable SFedU to increase the efficiency of student training and research work as well as to improve the mechanisms of university administration.
Do you want discuss Southern Federal University ? Any question, comments or reviews
Southern Federal University on Map
Share this useful info with your friends
Join to discuss of Southern Federal University.
PLEASE NOTE: EducationBro Magazine gives you ability to read info about universities at 96 languages, but we ask you to respect other members and leave comments in English.