- Ural Federal University
Ural Federal University
Ural Federal University (UrFU) is one of the largest higher educational institutions in Russia bringing together fundamental education and innovative approach towards the challenges of modern times.
Our aspiration is to become a world-class university in the heart of Eurasia committed to the complex and sustainable development of research and teaching.
Currently the university is home to more than 30 000 students from 80 countries of the world and more than 2 000 faculty members including the top-notch global experts in the spheres of natural sciences, engineering and social sciences. Our 17 Institutes offer more than 350 Bachelor, Master and Doctoral Programs in natural sciences, engineering, social sciences, humanities, economics and management taught in Russian and English. The number of UrFU alumni exceeds 300 000 people.
Breakthrough studies are pursued in 72 research excellence centres. The university is open to international collaboration having more than 500 partners all over the globe and being an active participant of such initiatives as BRICS Network University, SCO Network University, CIS University.
Ural Federal University constantly works on building its global reputation and is currently ranked amongst the world’s top universities:
- placed 7th among Russian universities (Webometrics Ranking of World Universities)
- top-10 best Russian universities (“Expert RA” rating agency);
- top-60 of the best universities of the Emerging Europe and Central Asia (QS Quacquarelli Symonds);
- top-650 (QS World University Rankings);
- placed 13th in the ranking of national universities by the Interfax Rating Agency;
- placed 77th among BRICS countries universities (QS World University Rankings: BRICS);
- placed 3rd as per the number of patents among the companies in Russia (The Research & innovation performance of the G20 (Russia) — Thomson Reuters).
Schools / Colleges / Departments / Courses / Faculties
- Faculty of Accelerated Learning
- Graduate Engineering School
- Graduate School of Economics and Management
- Institute of Chemical Engineering
- Institute of Civil Engineering
- Institute of Fundamental Education
- Institute of Further Education and Vocational Training
- Institute of Humanities and Arts
- Institute of Material Sciences and Metallurgy
- Institute of Mathematics and Computer Sciences
- Institute of Mechanics and Machine Building
- Institute of Military Technical Education and Security
- Institute of Natural Sciences
- Institute of Open Educetional Technologies
- Institute of Physical Education, Sport and Youth Policy
- Institute of Physics and Technology
- Institute of Public Administration and Entrepreneruship
- Institute of Radioelectronics and Information Technologies
- Institute of Social and Political Sciences
- Ural Power Engineering Institute
Ural Federal University is the oldest higher educational institution in the Ural region. It was founded in Ekaterinburg in 1920 by the decree of Vladimir Lenin, the head of the Soviet Government. After some time the University split into two: Ural State University (USU), specializing in fundamental, natural and mathematical sciences, humanities and social studies, and Ural Polytechnic Institute (UPI, later – Ural State Technical University, USTU-UPI) which was essentially focused on training engineers for metallurgical, heavy engineering, construction, radio technology and power engineering industries. UPI was also engaged in the dynamic development of the knowledge areas which were new for the USSR back then: nuclear power engineering, organic chemistry, telecommunication technologies.
Both universities maintained close ties with each other and their partners – Ural industrial enterprises, which turned Ekaterinburg into one of the largest university cities in Russia. Construction of the University campus started in the 1940-s; now it occupies the whole district in the city.
In 2008 the modernisation reform of the Russian higher education system was launched. A number of universities already having close relations were merged, received a federal status and additional financing.
Federal universities are located in Rostov-on-Don, Krasnoyarsk, Kazan, Arkhangelsk, Yakutsk, Kaliningrad, Vladivostok, Stavropol and Ekaterinburg. They now rank among Russia’s top higher educational institutions along with Moscow State University and St.Petersburg State University.
The merger process of USTU-UPI and USU to create Ural Federal University (UrFU) began in 2009 and was fully completed by the spring of 2011.
Do you want discuss Ural Federal University ? Any question, comments or reviews
Share this useful info with your friends
Join to discuss of Ural Federal University.
PLEASE NOTE: EducationBro Magazine gives you ability to read info about universities at 96 languages, but we ask you to respect other members and leave comments in English.