- The Petroleum Institute
The Petroleum Institute
The Petroleum Institute (PI) is an engineering university located in Sas Al Nakhl, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, offers a variety of engineering degrees and is funded by a consortium of national and international oil companies. The goal of the institution is to provide the local oil and gas industry with engineers.
PI was established in 2000 by an Emiri decree under the direction of His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, ruler of Abu Dhabi and the president of the United Arab Emirates. It is financed and governed by a consortium of five major oil companies: ADNOC, Royal Dutch Shell, BP, Total S.A., and Japan Oil Development Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of INPEX. The university is partnered with the following universities: Colorado School of Mines (CSM), Johannes Kepler Universitat Linz, University of Maryland, University of Minnesota, The University of Texas at Austin, Rice University and China University of Petroleum.
The PI admitted its first students in the Fall of 2001. At present, over 800 undergraduate male students and 100 female students are studying in one of the following five engineering disciplines: Mechanical Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Petroleum Geosciences,Polymer science and material science.
The Petroleum Institute also offers graduate level programs.
The Petroleum Institute University and Research Center (PI) was established in Abu Dhabi, capital of the United Arab Emirates in 2001 with a goal of becoming a world-class institution in both engineering education and energy industry research. PI currently has more than 2000 undergraduate and graduate students, over 200 faculty, and has quickly become a leading teaching and research institution in the Middle East region. The PI’s sponsors and affiliates include the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) and four major international oil companies that include BP, Japan Oil Development Company, Shell and Total. The campus has modern instructional laboratories and classroom facilities, and will soon host a major research center, the PI Research Center (PIRC) scheduled to open in 2016.
Schools / Colleges / Departments / Courses / Faculties
- Academic Bridge Program
- College of Arts and Sciences
- Chemical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Petroleum Geosciences
- 2000, PI founded by Emiri decree under the direction of H.H. Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al-Nahyan
- 2001, admitted first class of 139 male undergraduate students
- 2005, first cohort of male students graduated
- 2006, admitted first class of 104 female undergraduate students
- 2007, master’s degree programs started with 46 male and female students
- 2009, full accreditation for undergraduate programs by the Commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA)
- 2010, Gas Processing and Materials Science Research Center (GRC) launched
- 2012, first cohort of female students graduated
- 2012, USA based Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) granted accreditation to five engineering and applied sciences programs
- 2014, Re-Licensure of the Institute by the CAA
Do you want discuss The Petroleum Institute ? Any question, comments or reviews
Share this useful info with your friends
Join to discuss of The Petroleum Institute.
PLEASE NOTE: EducationBro Magazine gives you ability to read info about universities at 96 languages, but we ask you to respect other members and leave comments in English.