- Kharkiv National Medical University
Kharkiv National Medical University
Welcome to Kharkiv, which is a regional centre of Ukraine and worthy of its title of a “Ukrainian megalopolis” and Kharkiv National Medical University! This is a giant of the Ukrainian industry, a big educational and cultural centre, the most significant transport nodal point of the Ukrainian state. The city has over 60 research institutes, 170 comprehensive schools, 150 educational centres; the number of higher educational establishments with different patterns of ownership has by now reached 80. Annually, about 20,000 young specialists graduate from higher educational establishments of our city. Kharkiv numbers 49 cultural institutions and centres, which include 5 museums, City Art Gallery, 6 theatres, 3 symphony orchestras.
Kharkiv National Medical University is an integral part of the scientific, intellectual and cultural history of the country, one of the oldest medical establishments of Ukraine, a member of the International Association of Universities. Being founded in 1805, it has acquired invaluable experience in training doctors and is a leader of medical education in the country. Since 1951, university has become one of pioneers in training medical personnel for different countries of the world. During this period our educational establishment has graduated over 7,000 specialists for 120 countries of Asia, Africa, Latin America and Middle East. Graduates of Kharkiv National Medical University work in all parts of the world; they return health, and often even life, to people, therewith creating a good reputation for their alma mater.
Our University will help you to become a high-level specialist and will provide with facilities for your further professional progress and career. We hope that the education, which you will receive at our University, is only the first step on the way of your life achievements, therefore we believe, that our further professional cooperation will be fruitful and long-lasting.
Rector Prof. Vladimir N. Lesovoy
- is a member of the International Association of Universities, registered under UNESCO;
- has 8 Faculties: 1st – Medical, 2nd – Medical, 3rd – Medical, 4th – Medical, Stomatological, 5th and 6th – Medical Faculties for Training Foreign Students; these Faculties graduate doctors with the education-qualification level of a Specialist in such specialities as General Medicine, Paediatrics, Preventive Medicine, Stomatology; the Faculty of Postgraduate Training provides continuous development of doctors’ skills during all their professional activity;
- has 65 Departments, whose faculty numbers 803 specialists in sciences and pedagogy; of them, there are 130 Doctors of Medical Science, Professors and 446 Candidates of Medical Science, Associate Professors;
- trains over 7,000 students, interns, masters, clinical postgraduates, postgraduates and doctoral candidates, more than 2,100 of them being foreign citizens from 70 countries of Europe, Asia, Africa and America;
- has the following personnel potential: 5 corresponding members of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine, 17 Honoured Workers of Science and Engineering of Ukraine, 2 Honoured Workers of Higher School of Ukraine, 8 winners of State Prize of Ukraine in the fields of science and engineering, 13 Honoured Doctors of Ukraine, 28 members of the State and public Academies of Ukraine;
- is a modern multi-type educational establishment with its powerful scientific, material and technical basis, which includes: 6 education-research-production units; 2 research institutes, such as the Research Institute of Occupational Hygiene and Occupational Diseases of KhNMU and the Ukrainian Institute of Clinical Genetics of KhNMU; the University Stomatological Centre as the medical-educational-scientific unit of KhNMU; the Scientific-Practical Medical Centre of KhNMU; the Ukrainian Scientific-Practical Medical Centre of Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproductology; the Medical College of KhNMU;
- has 44 clinical Departments, where medical work is done by 497 workers of the University (these consist of 96 Professors, 191 Associate Professors and 210 assistants) and 128 doctors of the University clinics, 73 postgraduates, 48 clinical postgraduates and 32 masters; of them, there are 331 medical workers with the highest category, 68 with the first, and 59 with the second;
- has 5 specialized academic councils for defending Doctor’s and Candidate’s theses; carries out training of doctors and scientists at such stages as interns, masters, clinical postgraduates, postgraduates and doctoral candidates;
- took part in 126 international scientific forums and 340 Ukrainian scientific forums;
- cooperates with 18 foreign institutions;
- participates in the realization of 16 international projects; 65 of its workers are members of 66 foreign scientific and medical organizations;
- has the Central Research Laboratory, 4 problem laboratories, the Educational-Scientific Centre based on classrooms for phantom techniques of education and computerized classrooms, and the Computer Centre;
- has the Scientific Library, whose fund comprises over 1 million copies, and 16 computerized classrooms; more than 550 modern computers, video and audio aids are used in the process of training;
- is the place for active functioning of 18 scientific-pedagogical schools;
- has its students’ self-government, six hostels, with the successful work of the Youth Centre, the complex for physical education and health improvement, and “Medic” sports-health camp;
- was a recipient of the Gold Medal of the International Exhibition “Education and Career – 2010” in the nomination “Development of Students’ Research”.
Admission process in Kharkiv National Medical University
Since 2016 admission process in Ukrainian universities for foreign students aviable via Ukrainian Admission Center.
For apply to Kharkiv National Medical University foreign students have to apply online via Ukrainian Admission Center.
After checking all details in Admission Center, they will send invitation letter to students.
With invitation letter students can go to the nearest embassy of Ukraine and get student visa.
No exams, TOEFL, IELTS required if you make application via Ukrainian Admission Center.
Schools / Colleges / Departments / Courses / Faculties
- The 1st Medical Faculty
- The 2nd Medical Faculty
- The 3rd Medical Faculty
- The 4th Medical Faculty
- The 5th Faculty for International Students
- The 6th Faculty for International Students
- Stomatological Faculty
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Department of Surgery No. 3
Department of Surgery No. 2
Department of Surgery No. 1
Department of Phthisiology and Pulmonology
Department of Pharmacology and Drug Prescription
Department of Philosophy
Department of physical rehabilitation, sports medicine with a course of physical education and health
Department of Physiology
Department of Urology, Nephrology and Andrology
Department of the Ukrainian Language, Principles of Psychology and Education Science
Department of Traumatology and Orthopaedics
Department of Therapeutic Dentistry
Department of Social Sciences
Department of Forensic Medicine, Medical Law
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Pediatric Oral Surgery and Implantology
Department of Dentistry
Department of Social Medicine, Organization and Economics
Department of Radiology and Radiation Medicine
Department of Psychiatry, Narcology and Medical Psychology
Department of Fundamentals of Pediatrics No.2
Department of Propedeutic Pediatrics No. 1
Department of Propedeutics of Internal Medicine No. 2 and Nursing Care
Department of Fundamentals of Internal Medicine N1, Fundamentals of Bioethics and Biosafety
Department of Paediatrics No. 2
Department of Pediatrics No. 1 with Neonatology
Department of Physiological Pathology
Department of Pathological Anatomy
Department of Ophthalmology
Department of Otorhinolaryngology
Department of Prosthetic Dentistry
Department of Operating Surgery and Topographic Anatomy
Department of Oncology
Department of Neurosurgery
Department of neurology №2
Department of Neurology
Department of Language Training for Foreign Citizens
Department of Medical and Bioorganic Chemistry
Department of Medical and Biological Physics and medical Information Science
Department of Medical Genetics
Department of Medical Biology
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Anesthesiology and Intensive Care
Department of Medicine of Catastrophes and Military Medicine
Department of Microbiology, Virology and Immunology
Department of the Latin Language and Medical Terminology
Department of Clinical Pharmacology
Clinical laboratory diagnostics
Department of General Surgery No. 2
Department of General Surgery No. 1
Department of General Practice – Family Medicine
Department of Epidemiology
Department of emergency and urgent health care, orthopedics and traumatology
Department of Paediatric Surgery and Paediatric Anaesthesiology
Department of children’s infectious diseases
Department of Dermatology, Venereology and AIDS
Department of Dermatology, Venereology and Cosmetology
Department of Histology, Cytology and Embryology
Department of Hygiene and Ecology No. 2
Department of Hygiene and Ecology No. 1
Department of Internal Medicine No. 3
Department of Internal Medicine No. 2, Clinical Immunology and Allergology
Department of Internal Medicine No. 1
Department of Internal and Occupational Diseases
Department of Biological Chemistry
Department of Human Anatomy
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Pediatric Gynecology
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology No. 2
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology No. 1
Department of Infectious Diseases
Department of Foreign Languages
The history of the higher medical school in Kharkiv is more than 200 years long and closely connected with the history of V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, because it sprang from its Medical Faculty. The University was founded in 1805, a decree about its foundation was signed by the Russian Tsar Alexander I, and the first Statutes of the University were approved at that time.
In the 19th century, widely known doctors and scientists taught at the medical faculty of the university and worked in practical medicine. It was them who, for the first time in the Russian Empire, performed operations of ovariotomy, total resection of the stomach, operations on the open heart, as well as made significant scientific discoveries. In 1887, a special building was erected for the anatomical theatre of the Medical Faculty (now it houses the Department of Human Anatomy of our higher school); in 1896, four independent University clinics were built, namely: therapeutic, surgical, obstetrical and ophthalmological.
In 1910, the Kharkov Medical Society, which was created on the initiative of professors of the Medical faculty, founded the Women’s Medical Institute, where higher education was given to women.
In 1920 the Medical Faculty of Kharkiv University was united with the Women’s Medical Institute, and Kharkiv Medical Academy was founded; one year later the latter was given another name: Kharkiv Medical Institute. Among its teachers there were a lot of outstanding pedagogues and scientists; streets of the City of Kharkiv were named after some of them. These are: physiologist Danilevsky V.Ya., surgeon Trinkler N.P., anatomist Vorobyov V.P., ophthalmologist Girschman L.L., therapeutist Frankovsky V.A.
Many research institutes, hospitals and clinics were founded on initiatives of lecturers of KhNMU. These are, in particular, the Institute of General and Emergency Surgery, Malaya Institute of Therapy, Shapoval Regional Clinical Centre of Urology and Nephrology, etc. They became the basis for scientific and medical work of our University Departments in these fields.
In 1951, the University started training of foreign students. By now, the University has trained more than 3,600 specialists for different countries of the world.
In 1994, by a Decision of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, Kharkiv Medical Institute served as the basis for founding Kharkiv State Medical University; the latter received the highest 4th category by results of its accreditation and fully justifies it today. In 2007 our University received the National status.
Do you want discuss Kharkiv National Medical University ? Any question, comments or reviews
Share this useful info with your friends
Join to discuss of Kharkiv National Medical University.
PLEASE NOTE: EducationBro Magazine gives you ability to read info about universities at 96 languages, but we ask you to respect other members and leave comments in English.