Uzhhorod National University

Uzhhorod National University

Uzhhorod National University Details

Apply to Uzhhorod National University
Ukrainian Admission Center

Overview


Uzhhorod National University belongs to classic universities of Ukraine, holding the highest 4th level of accreditation. It is one of the largest and best universities of the Carpathian region, situated in a wonderful student city Uzhhorod on the slopes of the Carpathian Mountains in Western Ukraine. The university is young, it was founded in 1945 but it has acquired a well-deserved reputation in a scientific world, becoming the landmark and the alma-mater for generations of students who are working successfully both in Ukraine and other countries of the world. Uzhhorod University has formed powerful scientific schools of the world acclaim. It collaborates with many top universities abroad.

SCIENTIFIC ACHIEVEMENTS

According to the international scientometric data, Uzhhorod National University has ranked stably among the 10 leading scientific centres of Ukraine. In the course of 69 years, it has worked out its own school of teaching (instruction), scientific and educational traditions.

The University takes pride in its 150 doctors of science, 136 candidates of science, 12 laureates of State prize, 57 Doctors Honoris Causa, 2 corresponding members of the National Academy of science, 2 corresponding members of the branches  of the National Academy of science of Ukraine.

The teaching staff of the university defend up to 10 doctoral and 40 candidate dissertations annually.

More than 300 postgraduate students and 400 adjuncts in 53 specialities are trained at the University. There are five specialized Academic Councils on awards of doctoral and candidate degrees in Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Economy, History and Law.

Every year the scholars of the University publish 12 periodicals, more than 40 textbooks and manuals, hold 30 scientific conferences, half of which entertain foreign participants.

EDUCATIONAL PRIORITIES

Uzhhorod National University enables the students to fully realise their potential and become well-rounded persons. At present about 15,500 students study here.

The university provides training programs in 9 specialities of Junior Specialist qualification, as well as in 36 fields of Bachelor programs and 84 fields of Specialist and Master Programs.

The innovation triad is being implemented in all fields and specialities: the extensive foreign language learning, mastering of information technologies and promoting intensive informational ties on different levels.

Our university evinces a consistent and systematic interest in the languages of its neighbours.

Nine languages among them Ukrainian, English, German, French, Russian, Hungarian, Romanian, Slovak and Czech are being studied intensively at the University.

INTERNATIONAL ACTIVITIES

In promoting international relations, Uzhhorod National University follows three top-priority tasks: to increase the number of foreign students, to devise the program of the double diploma, and to compete for grants aimed at modernization of the university.

Currently the university pursues linkages with 86 partners from 17 countries.

Cooperation on conducting research within the framework of international projects realization in the fields of astronomy, informational technologies, economy, history, political science, sociology, culture, tourism and food industry is especially intensive.

The most important research projects of the university include “Innovation laboratories: the use of open innovation educational platforms and research in education for enterprises” in accordance with Tempus program. The system of space protection from emergencies – the transborder system for predicting emergency natural catastrophes on the basis of the use of satellite technologies in Hungary, Slovakia, Roumania and Ukraine and “Pi@netour” – creating scientific tourist product and net infrastructure for scientific tourism in border regions Maramuresh and Zakarpattya (Transcarpathia) is exercised within the framework of the border cooperation program EIC.

The students of the University participate in different international academic mobility programs: “one-term study”, “double diploma”, different kinds of practices. There is an agreement on cooperation between Uzhhorod National University and Pomorka Academy in Stutsk (Poland) which enables students of different specialities to study at State educational establishment in Poland.

Every year more than 400 teachers, scholars, doctorates, graduated and postgraduated are sent abroad to take part in the exchange programs (international conferences, training). The University welcomes the same number of foreign partners annually.

LEISURE & SPORTING FACILITIES

There are various vocal, pop and choreographic groups in the student leisure centre ‘Juventus’. A special matter of pride at our university is the amateur performances by the male choir ‘Boyan’.

Twenty-four sports are being developed in the university. Our students and teachers are national and world champions, masters of sport of national and international rank in power lifting, handball, track and field athletics, swimming, etc.

University teams participate successfully in national championships in American football, rugby football, baseball, basketball and netball.

Members of the university community have at their disposal 18 playing fields, the ski resort “Plischka” with ski lifts, 25 metre swimming pool, large and small gyms of the sports centre “Burevisnyk”, a student recreation centre “Skalka”, located in the picturesque, mountainous area on the slopes of the mountain range “Synatoriya”.

All six halls of residence house four thousand students. There are gyms with fitness equipment where students can train arm wrestling and martial-arts training. The access is granted at any time and is free. On their own initiative the students can create various societies to enjoy music drama, poetry and different kinds of dance.

FACILITIES FOR RESEARCH & STUDY

The university leads a volunteering movement in the region. The classroom and access point for people with disabilities have been created in our university. Only three higher educational establishments in Ukraine have such facilities.

University research library comprises more than 1.5 million documents on different storage media. It caters for more than 20 thousand readers. Its depository receives more than 15 thousand Ukrainian and foreign documents, about 250 academic periodicals. Thousands of unique specimens of book-printing, incunabula which came out in Latin before 1500 and the Ostrog Bible printed by Ivan Fyodorov in 1581 in particular, are being stored in the library.

The Museum of Zoology comprises 5 thousand exhibits from different continents. Its depository has more than 150 thousand specimens of fauna. It has the best in Central Europe collection of birds of prey and owls (more than 170 stuffed birds) collected in Zakarpattia and Eastern Slovakia.

The Botanic Gardens take up almost 90 hectares of land. More than 500 wood species and bushes, about 450 subtropical and tropical crops are being cultivated here.

Alpine Biocentre “Kolochava”, located in Zakarpatskii Verkhovyna, Mizhgirya district gives a unique opportunity for biology students to have a summer practice in natural field conditions.

Earth satellite astrophysical observations are being carried out using state-of-the-art equipment in the space exploration laboratory.

Admission process in Uzhhorod National University


Since 2016 admission process in Ukrainian universities for foreign students aviable via Ukrainian Admission Center.
For apply to Uzhhorod National University foreign students have to apply online via Ukrainian Admission Center.
After checking all details in Admission Center, they will send invitation letter to students.
With invitation letter students can go to the nearest embassy of Ukraine and get student visa.
No exams, TOEFL, IELTS required if you make application via Ukrainian Admission Center.

Schools / Colleges / Departments / Courses / Faculties


 

  • Faculty of Biology
  • Faculty of Geography
  • Faculty of Humanities and Natural Sciences with the Hungarian Language of Teaching
  • Faculty of Engineering
  • Faculty of History
  • Faculty of Mathematics
  • Faculty of Medicine
  • Faculty of Dentistry
  • Faculty of Economics
  • Faculty of Healthcare
  • Faculty of Information Technologies
  • Faculty of Postgraduate and Pre-university Education
  • Faculty of Social Sciences
  • Faculty of Foreign Philology
  • Faculty of Tourism and International Communication
  • Faculty of Physics
  • Faculty of International Relations
  • Faculty of Philology
  • Faculty of International Politics, Management and Business
  • Faculty of Chemistry
  • Faculty of Law

 

History


October 18, 1945 is considered to be the official date of Uzhhorod State University foundation. Just on this day the Council of the People’s Commissars of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic and the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Ukraine passed the common decree (resolution) on the inauguration of the state university in Uzhhorod. This decree (resolution) says in particular: “Taking into consideration the exceptional (exclusive) necessity to raise (raise) culture in Transcarpathian Ukraine and the petition (intercession) of the People’s Council of Transcarpathian Ukraine, the Council of the People’s Commission of the USSR and the Central Committee of the Ukrainian CP resolve:”to found the state university in Uzhhorod in 1945 with the following faculties: of history, philological, biological and medical ones”.

The famous Ukrainian writer, a Transcarpathian by his origin, Ivan Chendey wrote in the columns of the newspaper “Zakarpatska Pravda” very emotionally: “On the pages of the history of cultural life of our country there will be written down the date of the State University foundation. So many best sons of our people dreamed to continue their education after secondary school studies. But rarely were they able to fulfil it. They had to leave their native land and enter foreign faculties. The life of these young people who wished to study was quite difficult: they had to work hard at nights to earn their living… Hence the long-awaited day has come at last.” In October 1945 the foundation course for those wishing to be admitted to university began its work. On February 1, 1946 the first students took their desk seats. 168 young boys and girls from different towns and villages of Ukraine began their student life. The education process began at four faculties – historical, philological, biological and medical. Stepan Dobosh became the first University Rector.

The education process in the University was mostly performed by specialists and scientists from other higher educational establishments of the Soviet Union because of the lack of the efficient staff for the university teaching in Uzhhorod.

The candidate of biological sciences, assistant professor I. H. Rohal became the first dean of the Medical and Biological Faculties; senior teacher M. H. Yasko became the dean of the Philological Faculty; senior teacher I. K. Borysov became the acting dean of the Historical Faculty.

There have been appointed the heads of the departments of: Ukrainian literature – M. H. Yasko; Ukrainian philology – T. H. Cherednychenko; Russian literature – I. K. Bolysov; foreign language – V. I. Sulinchak; USSR history – P. M. Smiyan; organic chemistry – A. M. Kurishko; non-organic chemistry – S. T. Orlovsky; botany – Kh. Yu. Krasnopolska; physics – V. M. Bushin; Marxism-leninism – M. P. Redko. In the course of the academic year 23 more lecturers from different higher educational and research establishments of Ukraine came to the University. The natives of Zakarpattya began to work here too.

The Botanic Gardens was founded in the university in 1946. More than 500 species of trees and bushes and about 450 subtropical and tropical cultures are growing in it now.

By 1 July 1946 the University had embodied (included) 15 departments with 42 lecturers working there. The university staff included one professor, 9 assistant professors, 14 senior teachers, 11 teachers, 8 assistant teachers. In the same year the Council of Ministers upgraded Uzhhorod State University to the first category of higher schools and gave it under/within the authority / jurisdiction of the Ministry of Higher Education of the Soviet Union.

In 1946 the Faculty of Chemistry and in 1950 the Faculty of Physics and Mathematics began their work. Twenty five future physicists and twenty five future mathematicians were enrolled to the first year of studies.

In 1951 the first graduation of specialists took place and next year the first graduation of doctors took place in the medical faculty.

Post-graduation courses in Uzhhorod State University were founded in 1953. The first post graduates who defended their candidate thesis became Yu. I. Baleha, M. I. Holovey, O. M. Kyshko, I. V. Smolanka.

At the beginning of the 1950s the University newspaper “Radyansky student” began to be issued / come out to be published/.

Timeline

1954

Uzhhorod Teacher Training Institute was added to the University. The Institute worked from 1950 and prepared more than 500 teachers with incomplete (unfinished) higher education during its short time of functioning.

1957

The University station (post) of observation of artificial Earth Sputniks was established on Kalvaria Hill in the northern suburb of Uzhhorod. The University laboratory of space research is stationed there now.

1959

Six University faculties established their evening departments to prepare university professionals without discontinuing their work (for part-time students).

1960

General Engineering Department engaged in training engineers for industrial enterprises of Zakarpattya opened and started its work at the University. It carried out the first stage of training. After the third year, the students were transferred to other universities of Ukraine for graduation. The same year, the university launched a programme of research trips to foreign countries. Social and cultural activities were not neglected in this year as well. There were created the cameo theatre and the brass band, which often performed in front of students, the university staff and the residents of the city.

1962

The University hosted an all-union conference on physics of electronic and atomic collisions for the first time.

1963

The Faculty of Sciences with four departments was opened. It was renamed the Faculty of Correspondence Studies later. That same year was the foundation year of the Department of Hungarian language and literature at the Philological Faculty. It was training teachers for schools with Hungarian language of instruction. The same year, the university started international cooperation with Szeged Pedagogical Institute named after Dyula Ûgas (Hungary).

1964

The University created the amateur male choir of academic and assistant staff ‘Boyan’. The same year, a student recreation centre “Skalka”, located near the village Kam’yanitsya, in the picturesque, mountainous area on the slopes of the mountain range “Synatoriya”, was built.

1966

The Faculty of Romance and Germanic Philology was opened. In the same year, the Faculty of Physics and Mathematics was divided into two separate structural units.

1973

The construction of the first stage/round of the sports centre “Burevisnyk “was over. Its main building houses two large gyms, the Department of Physical Education and a radio station. Other sporting facilities as volleyball, tennis and basketball courts, soccer field and running track were built up around the sports centre.

1974

The construction of the main academic building of the university began. Among the university students and lecturers, as well as the residents of Uzhhorod, it received an informal name ‘BAM’. This is due to the fact that the same 1974 the Baikal-Amur Railway, abbreviated ‘BAM’ was being built in the Soviet Union. Its construction was declared ‘an all-union top-priority Komsomol project.’ Therefore, a large number of young people across the Soviet Union took part in its construction. Hence, by analogy, as the main academic building was largely built by the students of the university it got its name. It was ceremonially opened in 1980. The same year a new hall of residence   № 4, designed to accommodate 1500 students was completed.

1982

The University-TV-Centre, which was to broadcast written admission examinations, was opened.

1987

The Correspondence School of Economics of the University was upgraded to full time department. This year the Hungarology centre was opened with the assistance of the University and the Ministry for Culture of Hungary.

1991

Ukraine became independent. A new era began in the history of the University. This year was marked by the opening of the Faculty of Engineering and the Department of Law at the Faculty of Economics.

1992

Research Institutes of Herbal Medicine, Physics and Chemistry of Solids, the Institute of Karpatoznavstva were created. That same year, the University switched to the two-level system of training (Bachelor degree and Master degree).

1993

By the decision of the Interdisciplinary Accreditation Commission and the Collegium of the Ministry for Education of Ukraine the University was awarded the full fourth level of accreditation, with autonomy in solving of many issues of the university life. The same year the University opened the Faculty of Law.

2000

For a significant contribution to the development of national education and science the University was conferred national status and renamed Uzhhorod National University with the fourth level of accreditation by the Decree of the President of Ukraine.


Do you want discuss Uzhhorod National University ? Any question, comments or reviews


Uzhhorod National University on Map


Photo


Photos: Uzhhorod National University official Facebook

Video





Share this useful info with your friends

Uzhhorod National University reviews

Join to discuss of Uzhhorod National University.
PLEASE NOTE: EducationBro Magazine gives you ability to read info about universities at 96 languages, but we ask you to respect other members and leave comments in English.