University of Exeter

University of Exeter. Study in England, UK

University of Exeter Details

  • Country : United Kingdom
  • City : Exeter
  • Acronym : U of E
  • Founded : 1922
  • Students (approx.) : 21000
  • Don't forget to discuss University of Exeter
Enroll at University of Exeter

Overview


The University of Exeter featured in the UK’s top 10 in the past 4 years (The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide) and ranks in the top 100 universities in the world according to the Times Higher Educationinternational rankings. The CWTS Leiden Rankning 2015 places us 34th in the world for involvement in scientific collaboration and impact. We are a member of the prestigious Russell Group of research intensive universities.

The quality of education and experience received at the University of Exeter means we rank 8th in the UK in the latestTimes Higher Education Student Experience Survey.

According to the latest Higher Education Statistics Agency Data, we are placed 9th out of all UK universities for achievement: 84 per cent of our students graduate with either a First or 2:1.

Our students demand a lot of us and we of them – we aim to make our teaching inspirational and your learning exceptional.

Research-inspired teaching

Our academic staff are more than lecturers teaching from books. They undertake leading research in your subject area. Ninety-eight per cent of our research is rated as world-leading or internationally recognised (Research Excellence Framework 2014). You will be taught by experts and be part of a culture that is inspired by research – you will discuss the very latest ideas in seminars and tutorials and may become an active member of a research team.

At Exeter students are put at the heart of the system and provided with the skills and structures to voice their own opinions and wants. High levels of trust are invested in the students to shape their own university experience and the consequences are highly rewarding.

The Students’ Guild is there to facilitate and guide this, and the positive relationship we have with the University allows ideas for change to come to fruition.

This unique culture is predominantly achieved through the work done by our dedicated Subject Reps and the Change Agents scheme, but every student is encouraged to feedback and engage with the community that surrounds them. Here, everybody is invited to be part of this society, and the way students and staff come together at events like the teaching awards, for example, sums this up. Having voted in their thousands for staff they want to celebrate, students are then asked to join staff at a fabulous awards ceremony, seeing people from all over campus and even further coming together to recognise hard work.

We also host a shadowing scheme, with students following senior members of staff for a day and the staff echoing this by shadowing them in return. I took part in this last year, attending meetings with the Deputy Vice-Chancellor for Education, Janice Kay, who then came to my lectures and seminars later that week. There are no divisions here, we are all working together and everyone feels approachable.

Imogen Sanders

Students’ Guild Vice President Academic Affairs

Schools / Colleges / Departments / Courses / Faculties


The Business School

  • Accounting
  • Economics
  • Finance
  • Organisation Studies
  • Management Studies

College of Life and Environmental Sciences

  • Biosciences
  • Environment and Sustainability Institute
  • Geography
  • Living Systems Institute
  • Psychology
  • Sport and Health Sciences

College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences

  • Computer Science
  • Engineering
  • Environment and Sustainability Institute
  • Geology
  • Living Systems Institute
  • Mathematics
  • Mining and Minerals Engineering
  • Natural Sciences
  • Physics and Astronomy
  • Renewable Energy

College of Social Sciences and International Studies

  • Arab and Islamic Studies
  • Education
  • Environment and Sustainability Institute
  • Law
  • Politics
  • Sociology, Philosophy and Anthropology
  • Strategy and Security Institute

College of Humanities

  • Archaeology
  • Art History and Visual Culture
  • Classics and Ancient History
  • Drama
  • English
  • Film Studies
  • Foreign Language Centre
  • History
  • Liberal Arts
  • Modern Languages
  • Theology and Religion

Medical School

  • Institute of Biomedical & Clinical Science
  • Institute of Health Research
  • Living Systems Institute
  • Medicine
  • Medical Imaging
  • Medical Sciences

History


To celebrate the educational and scientific work of Prince Albert, and inspired by the Great Exhibition of 1851, Exeter School of Art in 1855 and the Exeter School of Science in 1863 were founded. In 1868, the Schools of Art and Science relocated to Royal Albert Memorial Museum in Queen Street, Exeter and, with support from the University of Cambridge, became the Exeter Technical and University Extension College in 1893.

In 1900 its official title was changed to the Royal Albert Memorial College and the college moved to Bradninch Place in Gandy Street. The college was again renamed to the University College of the South West of England in 1922 after the college was incorporated under theCompanies Act and included on the list of institutions eligible to receive funds from the then University Grants Committee. As was customary for new university institutions in England in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the college prepared students for external degrees of the University of London.

Alderman W H Reed, a former mayor of Exeter, donated Streatham Hall on the Streatham Estate to the new University College in 1922. Streatham Hall was renamed to Reed Hall after its benefactor. At the same time, the first principal of the University College, later Sir Hector Hetherington, persuaded the Council of the College to buy a major portion of the Streatham Estate. A slow move to the Streatham Estate from the centre of the city occurred over time. The first new building erected on the Streatham Estate was the Washington Singer building; the foundation stone was laid by the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VIII), then President of the University College of the South West of England. The building was opened in 1931. The first of the purpose-built halls of residence, Mardon Hall, opened in 1933. The second academic building on the estate was the Roborough Library named in recognition of the interest taken in the development of the college by the first Lord Roborough, one of its early benefactors. Roborough Library was completed around 1939.

The University College of the South West of England became the University of Exeter and received its Royal Charter in 1955, exactly one hundred years after the formation of the original Exeter School of Art. Queen Elizabeth II presented the Charter to the university on a visit to Streatham the following year.

The university underwent a period of considerable expansion in the 1960s. Between 1963 and 1968, a period when the number of students at Exeter almost doubled, no fewer than ten major buildings were completed on the Streatham estate as well as halls of residence for around 1,000 students. These included homes for the Chemistry and Physics departments, the Newman, Laver and Engineering Buildings and Streatham Court. Queen’s Building had been opened for the Arts Faculty in 1959 and the Amory Building, housing Law and Social Sciences, followed in 1974. In the following two decades, considerable investment was made in developing new self-catering accommodation for students.

Gifts from the Gulf States made it possible to build a new university library in 1983 and more recently have allowed for the creation of a new Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies. A further major donation enabled the completion of the Xfi Centre for Finance and Investment. Since 2009, significant further investment has been made into new student accommodation, new buildings in The Business School, and the Forum: a new development for the centre of Streatham Campus.

In 1838, the Exeter Diocesan Board of Education resolved to found an institution for the education and training of schoolmasters, the first such initiative in England. As a result, a year later, the Exeter Diocesan Training College was created in Cathedral Close, Exeter at the former house of the Archdeacon of Totnes, adjacent to Exeter Cathedral. The first Principal was appointed and the college opened in 1840.

Expansion followed, and in 1853, John Hayward (who was later responsible for the design of the Royal Albert Memorial Museum) was commissioned to design a purpose built premises for the college on Heavitree Road. The building, largely built in grey limestone from Torbaywith Bath Stone dressings, was completed by the autumn of the following year. On 18 October 1854, after a service in Exeter Cathedral, an opening ceremony for the new buildings was held. From this date in 1854 (St Luke’s Day), the college was unofficially known as St Luke’s. The college’s intake in 1854 was 40 students.

In parallel, at the Royal Albert Memorial College, an initiative within the Arts and Sciences department in 1912 eventually led to the formation of an Institute of Education (of which St Luke’s College was a constituent member) and a separate department of Extra Mural Studies for the purposes of teacher training. Exeter Diocesan Training College was formally renamed to St Luke’s College Exeter in 1930 and became co-educational in 1966.

In 1978, St Luke’s College Exeter was incorporated into the University of Exeter. A faculty was created incorporating the university’s Institute of Education and St Luke’s College Exeter into a new School of Education.

The Peninsula Medical School was established in 2000 in conjunction with the University of Plymouth and the National Health Service, based at St Luke’s and the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. The School of Dentistry opened in 2007 and, together with the Peninsula Medical School, created the Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry. St Luke’s campus is the main site for the University of Exeter Medical School, which accepted its first students in 2013.

During the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, Cornwall was among the most significant metalliferous mining regions in the world. Camborne School of Mines was founded in 1888 to meet the needs of this local industry.

Camborne School of Mines was located in the centre of Camborne for almost a century but, following major investment by the international mining industry and others, relocated in 1975 to purpose-built facilities mid-way between Camborne and Redruth. Significant expansion and diversification of teaching and research provision occurred during the 1980s and early 1990s, including the development of undergraduate and taught postgraduate degree programmes in geology, environmental science and surveying. In 1993, Camborne School of Mines was incorporated into the University of Exeter.

Initiatives by the University of Exeter and others to expand the provision of higher education in Cornwall resulted in the Combined Universities in Cornwall (CUC) initiative in 1999. As part of this initiative, Penryn, just outside Falmouth, became the site of the Penryn Campus, a facility shared with Falmouth University. Camborne School of Mines relocated to Penryn during 2004 when the university’s new Cornwall Campus opened.


Do you want discuss University of Exeter ? Any question, comments or reviews


University of Exeter on Map


Photo


Photos: University of Exeter official Facebook

Video





Share this useful info with your friends

University of Exeter reviews

Join to discuss of University of Exeter.
PLEASE NOTE: EducationBro Magazine gives you ability to read info about universities at 96 languages, but we ask you to respect other members and leave comments in English.