- University of Sherbrooke
University of Sherbrooke
Located in Canada, in the Province of Quebec, the Université de Sherbrooke is a French-speaking institution that offers you the opportunity to benefit from an academic education that is recognized and valued around the world.
The Université de Sherbrooke is host to more than 40,000 students, of which 9500 are registered at the University of the Third Age.
The Université de Sherbrooke has been welcoming international students ever since it was founded and each year the numbers increase. Currently, more than 1600 foreign students from 120 countries worldwide attend the Université de Sherbrooke. More than 85% of the students enrolled at the Université are from outside Sherbrooke.
There are 6634 employees at the Université de Sherbrooke, including 3400 professors, lecturers and the clinical professors at the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences.
In Quebec, universities are the only source of higher education. The North-American system is not comprised of grandes écoles or private higher education institutions. North-American universities are considered prestigious establishments and students receive high quality training and recognized diplomas. They can be compared to the European institutes of higher education (grandes écoles) for the quality of education, while remaining affordable.
The Université de Sherbrooke is situated in the southern part of Quebec, 150 km from Montréal, 220 km from Québec City and some 40 km from the American border.
Why University of Sherbrooke?
- A modern university recognized all over the world.
- A North-American education in French enabling you to study abroad without a language barrier.
- A rewarding professional and personal study experience abroad.
- Innovative teaching methods and cutting-edge research technology.
- Up-to-date infrastructures available to the entire student community (computers, Internet access, documentation centre…).
- Professors who know how to listen and are open to questions.
- Administrative personnel who make you feel at home and can assist you with your research and assignments.
- A relaxed working atmosphere, usually in small groups.
- Several student associations, ultramodern cultural and sports installations, and various commodities (shops, services…) to enhance student life at the Université.
- Residences located at the heart of the Université campuses.
Schools / Colleges / Departments / Courses / Faculties
The Université de Sherbrooke is composed of the following faculties:
- Faculty of Administration
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Letters and Humanities
- Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Faculty of Sports and Physical Education
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Theology, Ethics and Philosophy
The Université de Sherbrooke was established as a French speaking Catholic university in a region that was predominantly English speaking. Initially there was a religious component to the pedagogical activities, but by the end of the 1960s the number of priests working for the university had greatly diminished. In 1975, the appointment of a layman as Rector marked the end of religious activity in the institution. The Department of Theology is still officially Roman Catholic, alone in Quebec in this regard.
Université de Sherbrooke’s arms, supporters, flag and badge were registered with the Canadian Heraldic Authority on January 15, 2004. Université de Sherbrooke’s crest and Supporters were registered with the Canadian Heraldic Authority on April 20, 2007. The motto of the school is Veritatem in Charitate (“Truth through charity”).
In 2006, the university opened a branch of its medical facility on the campus of UQAC, where its students enroll for non-medical courses. The number of students attending the Université de Sherbrooke continues to rise and the university has worked with the City of Sherbrooke to respond to the increase. Activities at the Université de Sherbrooke are mainly centred on teaching and research.
Do you want discuss University of Sherbrooke ? Any question, comments or reviews
Share this useful info with your friends
Join to discuss of University of Sherbrooke.
PLEASE NOTE: EducationBro Magazine gives you ability to read info about universities at 96 languages, but we ask you to respect other members and leave comments in English.