- Hankuk University of Foreign Studies
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies
ankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS) was established in 1954. In addition to its focus on the theory and practice of foreign languages, HUFS also encourages students to use the language skills that they have acquired to study the politics, economy, society and culture of each region of the world. HUFS is a specialized university that educates students to become creative experts, international Koreans and independent researchers who will contribute to the development and exchange of culture. HUFS is a coeducational school with around 15,000 undergraduate students in 74 departments within 17 colleges. HUFS has educational exchange ties with 463 universities in 90 countries worldwide.
HUFS is the birthplace of foreign language education in Korea and teaches 45 major languages of Asia, the Middle East and other major regions of the world. HUFS graduates now play vital roles in international trade and diplomatic affairs.
I would like to extend a warm personal welcome to the international students who choose to further their education at Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS). We are very proud of the wide range of academic courses we offer which are attracting increasing numbers of international students from Asia, the Middle East, Europe, the Americas, New Zealand/Australia and Africa. Our intensive Korean language program is recognized as one of best in Korea, targeting a high proficiency level for those interested in seriously developing their language skills. For international students who are not yet proficient in Korean, a number of both undergraduate and graduate courses are currently taught in English. We also offer language instruction in a total of 43 world languages other than Korean and English.
But beyond our academic offerings, the multi-lingual and specialized staff and student assistants of the International Affairs Team make every effort to facilitate your adaptation to Korean life. In addition to attending to administrative matters such as visa application documentation, enrollment procedures and validation fo the courses you take, we provide an orientation program for international students and a drop-in counseling service for personal or inter-cultural issues. With the administrative and financial support of the university, a team of student volunteers organizes a range of activities designed to assist you in your integration into Korean student life (buddy programs, language tutoring, on-campus and off-campus social and cultural activities).
With its large number of international faculty, a high percentage of Korean faculty members who have received degrees from foreign universities, and its ratio of Korean students who have lived or studied overseas and who return to campus speaking a wide variety of foreign languages, HUFS has been designated the most cosmopolitan university campus in Korea. We hope you will join us in the exciting educational endeavor which is international education. We will do our very best to make your stay at HUFS a profitable one for you in terms of both your personal and educational development.
Jae Ho Hwang, Ph.D.
Dean of International & External Affairs
Professor, International Division
Schools / Colleges / Departments / Courses / Faculties
- College of English
- College of Occidental Languages
- College of Oriental Languages
- College of Chinese
- College of Japanese
- College of Social Science
- College of Law
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Business Administration
- College of Education
- Division of International Studies
- College of Humanities
- College of Interpretation and Translation
- College of International and Area Studies
- College of Central and East European Studies
- College of Economics and Business
- College of Natural Science
- College of Engineering
HUFS has various programs that meet the ambitions of young people. Through the 7+1 Study Abroad Program, HUFS supports students to study at least one of eight semesters in a foreign country. HUFS is shaping ‘beyond-language’ programs, such as overseas internship programs at KOTRA (Korea Trade-Investment Promotion Agency) and Korean Embassies all around the world. HUFS is also the first university to organize a dual master’s degree program with the UN mandated University for Peace (UPEACE).
HUFS is accelerating its movement in recent years in order to move forward to a world-class university. With its emphasis on a global mindset, it has made exchange agreements with 522 universities and institutions in 84 countries. Among 640 faculty members, international professors make up 30% of the total. Truly, what HUFS is looking at is not only competition with local universities, but competitiveness in the whole world.
HUFS has been producing talented individuals who could further Korea’s modernization and promote world peace. HUFS has three campuses located in Seoul, Global(Yong-in), and Song-do (under construction, near Incheon International Airport). The two campuses accommodate 17,074 undergraduate students/ 4,166 graduate students in total.
- Under the leadership of Dr. InChul Kim, 10h President of Hankuk University of Foreign Studies from 2014 to present
- Ranked 3rd in the world in language education
- Ranked first in Korea among other universities in terms of Internationalization indicators
- MOUs signed with 522 universities and institutions in 84 countries
- Operates dual master’s degree programs with UPEACE (The UN mandated-University for Peace)
- HUFS Graduate Schools offer master’s degrees in 85 programs and doctoral degrees in 68 programs including US & Canadian Studies
- The Graduate School of International and Area Studies invites government officials from developing countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America every year for master’s degree programs.
- The 7+1 Visiting Student Program is designed to enhance the global mindset of HUFS students by studying abroad for at least1 out of 8 semesters
- FLEX Center: Home to the FLEX test (Foreign Language Examination) developed by HUFS and jointly administered by the KoreaChamber of Commerce and Industry
- Center for Interpretation and Translation (CIT): Korea’s top institution, specializing in professional interpretation and translation services
- HUFS Alumni are not only visible as one of the largest groups among Korean diplomats, but also rank highly: – in terms of graduates working at the National Intelligence Service (NIS) – in number of alumni serving as Grade 1 or higher government officials – among universities producing CEOs of Korea’s top 100 companies – among universities that produce journalists
Do you want discuss Hankuk University of Foreign Studies ? Any question, comments or reviews
Share this useful info with your friends
Join to discuss of Hankuk University of Foreign Studies.
PLEASE NOTE: EducationBro Magazine gives you ability to read info about universities at 96 languages, but we ask you to respect other members and leave comments in English.