- Seoul National University
Seoul National University
Seoul National University honors the ideals of liberal education and aims to teach students a lifelong love of learning that will form the basis for continuous personal growth.
At the same time it is committed to preparing students to work and live in an increasingly competitive global environment. As South Korea’s first national university, Seoul National University has a tradition of standing up for democracy and peace on the Korean peninsula.
Graduates have long served as public servants in key positions of the Korean government. In teaching, research, and public service, the University continues to set the standard of excellence.
The mission of the University in the twenty-first century is to create a vibrant intellectual community where students and scholars join together in building the future. As Korea’s leading research university, Seoul National University is committed to diversifying its student body and faculty, fostering global exchange, and promoting path-breaking research in all fields of knowledge.
Seoul National University is synonymous with higher education in Korea. Since its establishment in 1946, the University has strived to lead the nation with wisdom and courage every step of the way towards achieving economic development and democratization.
As an epitome of higher education and esteemed for its unmatched academic rigor, Seoul National University has worked to fulfill its responsibility to pursue the highest level of excellence. As a result, Seoul National University has gained a global reputation for academic excellence, joining the ranks of prestigious universities across the world.
Now, more than ever, Seoul National University recognizes its responsibility to go beyond the boundaries of academia and be part of society, the nation and the world. First, “SNU with Pride” – the University community has great pride in our institution; second, “SNU with People” – the University is loved by our country and our people; and finally, “SNU with the World” – we are dedicated to become a world-class university.
A university all can take pride in,
A university loved by the people,
A university leading the world.
We will continue to cultivate a vibrant intellectual community by fostering creativity, scholastic pursuit and global-mindedness in our students. We endeavor to educate students as global citizens who will share our contributions on the world stage.
President of the Seoul National University
Schools / Colleges / Departments / Courses / Faculties
- College of Humanities
- College of Social Sciences
- College of Natural Sciences
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- College of Business Administration
- College of Education
- College of Engineering
- College of Fine Arts
- College of Human Ecology
- College of Liberal Studies
- College of Medicine
- College of Music
- College of Nursing
- College of Pharmacy
- College of Veterinary Medicine
- Interdisciplinary Programs for Undergraduates
- Combined Minor
- Humanities & Social Sciences
- Natural Sciences
- Interdisciplinary Programs
- Graduate School of Business
- Graduate School of Convergence Science Technology
- Graduate School of Engineering Practice
- Graduate School of Environmental Studies
- Graduate School of Dentistry
- Graduate School of International Studies
- Graduate School of Public Administration
- Graduate School of Public Health
- School of Law
- School of Medicine
Seoul National University was founded on August 27, 1946 by merging ten institutions of higher education around the Seoul area. The schools which have been merged were:
- Gyeongseong University (Gyeongseong Daehakgyo, 경성대학)
- Gyeongseong College of Education (Gyeongseong Sabeomhakgyo, 경성사범학교)
- Gyeongseong Women’s College of Education (Gyeongseong Yeoja Sabeomhakgyo, 경성여자사범학교)
- Gyeongseong Law College (Gyeongseong Beophak Jeonmunhakgyo, 경성법학전문학교)
- Gyeongseong Industrial College (Gyeongseong Gongeop Jeonmunhakgyo, 경성공업전문학교)
- Gyeongseong Mining College (Gyeongseong Gwangsan Jeonmunhakgyo, 경성광산전문학교)
- Gyeongseong Medical College (Gyeongseong Euihak Jeonmunhakgyo, 경성의학전문학교)
- Suwon Agriculture College (Suwon Nongnim Jeonmunhakgyo, 수원농림전문학교)
- Gyeongseong College of Economics (Gyeongseong Gyeongje Jeonmunhakgyo, 경성경제전문학교)
- Gyeongseong Dentistry College (Gyeongseong Chigwa Euihak Jeonmunhakgyo, 경성치과의학전문학교)
The first president was Harry Bidwell Ansted. For over a year and a half, there was a protest movement by students and professors against the law of the U.S. military government in Korea merging colleges. Finally, 320 professors were fired and more than 4950 students left the school. The university’s second president was Lee Choon-ho (이춘호, 李春昊), who served beginning in October 1947.
The College of Law was founded by merging the law department of Kyŏngsŏng University with Kyŏngsŏng Law College. The university absorbed Seoul College of Pharmacy in September 1950, as the College of Pharmacy. This had previously been a private institution.
During the Korean War, the university was occupied by North Korea and Seoul National University Hospital Massacre occurred, then temporarily merged with other universities in South Korea, located in Busan.
Do you want discuss Seoul National University ? Any question, comments or reviews
Share this useful info with your friends
Join to discuss of Seoul National University.
PLEASE NOTE: EducationBro Magazine gives you ability to read info about universities at 96 languages, but we ask you to respect other members and leave comments in English.