- National Mining University
National Mining University
The National Mining University colloquially known in Ukrainian as NGU is located in Dnipropetrovsk, the third most populous city in Ukraine. It was founded in 1899 as the Yekaterinoslav Higher Mining School. The task of the university then was to provide the mining industry with highly qualified specialists, a goal that has continued to direct the university’s leadership right up to the present day, although in recent years its academic offer has developed beyond the confines of mining-related subjects. Currently, its structure consists of nine faculties (academic departments). During the Soviet era, NGU was one of the country’s top specialised institutions of higher education. It is ranked as one of Ukraine’s best universities in many rankings and today attracts a large number of foreign students.
The National Mining University is one of the leading establishments of higher education in Ukraine. According to the ratings of UNESCO it achieved 6th position among the 200 Top universities in Ukraine in 2009.
At the University there are 53 departments (27 of which are major-based) united into 9 faculties of full-time education. There is also an Institute of Extramural Learning and a number of post-graduate and doctoral courses. The university has an Interbranch Institute of Continuing Learning, Scientific and Research Unit, Ukrainian-American Linguistic Center, Linguistic Center, Ukrainian German Cultural Center, Ukrainian-Spanish-Latin-American Center, Center for Ukrainian-Polish Cooperation, and Energy Saving and Energy Management Center. NGU also has links with the Prydniprovsk Science-and-Technology Center of Information Protection, Ukrainian-American Lyceum, Marganets College, Pavlograd Technical School and Motor Transport Technical School.
Currently there are 16,000 students enrolled on programs at the university, whilst post-graduate and doctoral students are taught in 27 modern specialties. The licensed amount of student admission for entering the University each year is 1,400 students. The academic process is provided by 600 teachers including more than 100 doctors of science, professors and 350 candidates of Science and associate professors. The infrastructure of the University (general area of constructions and buildings is 126049 square meters estimated at 29,8 mln. hryvna cost), modern computer basis (more than 1000 modern computers) local and global computer nets, library funds with more than one million volumes, strong material and technical laboratory basis, ensures a high standard of education.
Over the 100 years of the university’s existence more than 56,000 highly qualified specialists have been prepared, more than 500 monographs and 250 study-books widely known beyond Ukraine have been published, and about 150 Doctors of science and more than 1,750 Candidates of science have been trained. The university’s graduates are today authors of more than 2600 inventions in foreign countries, where they obtained more than 300 patents. In recent years, four fundamental innovations of the university’s scientists have been recognised as scientific discoveries.
Admission process in National Mining University
There're only few steps for admission in Ukraine:
- Choose your course to study
- Choose university to study
- Apply to ukrainian university
- Get invitation letter from university
- Get visa in ukrainian embassy
- Come and study in Ukraine
Schools / Colleges / Departments / Courses / Faculties
Institute of Power Engineering
Institute of Economics
Institute of Mining
Faculty of Construction
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
Faculty of Geological Prospecting
Faculty of Law
Institute of Extramural and Distance Learning
The National Mining University, which is the basic higher mining educational institution in Ukraine, was founded on June 16, 1899. It is the oldest university in Dnipropetrovsk region; moreover it laid the basis for more than two tens of educational institutions and scientific-research institutes. Among them there are Dnipropetrovsk Institute of Chemistry and Technology (1930), Dnipropetrovsk Metallurgical Institute (1930), Northern-Caucasian Mining and Metallurgical Institute (1931), Scientific-Research Chemistry Institute named after Melikishvili in Tbilisi (1929), Moscow Welding Institute (1925), All-Union Scientific-Research Designing Technological Institute of Pipe Industry (1929), Institute of Physical Chemistry named after Lev Pisarzhevsky in Kiev (1927), and others.
The ceremony of Katerynoslav Higher Mining College (KHMC) opening was conducted on October 12, 1899. At the beginning Higher Mining College had two departments – mining and factory ones. The curriculum according to “Statute of KHMC” foresaw 23 disciplines: God’s study, higher mathematics, analytical mechanics, construction mechanics, applied mechanics, mine-factory mechanics, physics, chemistry, electrical mechanics, mineralogy, geology and science on deposits, geodesy, mining art, ore and coal beneficiation, surveying, metallurgy, technology of metals, drawing and drawing geometry, accounting and mine-factory economy, technical translations from German and French, first aid at accidents. The training process was provided by 13 teachers.
At the very beginning there was founded a two department library, a mineralogical museum, chemical, mechanical and probe laboratories, cabinets in each disciplines.
On June 19, 1912 the State Legislative body adopted a bill on restructuring the KHMC into Mining Institute since July 1. At that time there worked outstanding scientists. They were Ya. Grdina, V. Guskov, S. Zaborovsky, L. Ivanov, N. Lebedev, P. Leontovsky, V. Makovsky, L. Pisarzhevsky, M. Protodiakonov, P. Rubin, A. Terpigorev, M. Fedorov, S. Sharbe.
The publications of scientific works in technical periodical journals, monographs, study books, atlases testified high scientific potential of the educational institution. The KHMC systematically edited “Proceedings of Katerynoslav Higher Mining College” since 1905. Up to 1917 there had been edited 23 issues of “Proceedings”, published about 500 scientific works including monographs and study books. In the period of the educational institution formation there were established scientific schools and directions: Ya. Grdina became one of the founders of cybernetics, A. Terpigorev and V. Protodiakonov – the school of mining, V. Guskov – beneficiation of minerals, Leontovsky – the school of surveying, geodesy and geometry of deposits, M. Lebedev – geology and stratigraphy of Donbas, P. Rubin – metallurgy and coke chemistry, L. Pisarzhevsky – electron chemistry.
In 1918 Katerynoslav Mining Institute opened two new departments: Surveying (closed in 1921) and Geological Prospecting, and obtained the right to award the scientific degree through public defense of scientific dissertation. In 1921 there was created the Mechanical Faculty with two departments: Mining-Factory and Electrical Engineering. The implementation of new specialties was dictated by industry development. Besides, a Workers’ Faculty was opened.
Beginning since 1930 Mining Institute started training specialists only for mining industry and geological prospecting works. In 1932 there were established faculties instead of the departments: Mining, Electrical Engineering, Geological-Surveying.
In 1920 – 1930 the process of scientific schools forming was continued. Though during the 1930-s Dnipropetrovsk Mining Institute lost a significant part of its cadre staff (about 30 persons, among which there were outstanding professors) because of political repressions.
In 1941, when the war against Nazi had begun, about 300 teachers, staff members and students were recruited to the front. The institute evacuated to Sverdlovsk (Urals) and Karaganda (Kazakhstan), brought a significant part of the equipment and the scientific staff for Sverdlovsk Mining Institute and the Filial of Moscow Mining Institute, which by that time had come to Karaganda too. A great deal of the teaching staff of Dnipropetrovsk Mining Institute occupied engineering positions at mining enterprises of the Urals and Republics of Middle Asia.
The activity of the Institute was renewed in 1943, first – in Karaganda, and later – in Dnipropetrovsk. Destroyed educational facilities and laboratories were under reconstruction. Those who survived were coming back from the front. By 1951/1952 academic year there had been completely renewed the building of the Institute, put into operation a boring experimental study range, laboratories, dormitories. In 1951 there was established the Mine-Construction Faculty. Scientific elaborations of the Institute’s teaching staff, student diploma projects of that period were subordinated to the problems of renewing Donetsk, Kryvyi Rih and Nikopol manganous basins.
By the 50-th anniversary the Institute had 165 professors, associate professors and lecturers, 34 departments, 22 laboratories, 25 cabinets, a geological museum, library, experimental study range and study experimental workshops. At 4 faculties there studied 1942 students by 9 specialties.
In the 1960-s new-built and restored educational and educational-laboratory buildings, three multistoried dormitories for students and post-graduate students, educational-production workshops, a sport building, facilities of an educational-geodesic experimental study range in the village of Orlivshchyna were put into operation.
In 1970 at Dnipropetrovsk Mining Institute there worked 474 teachers, including 34 professors. The amount of graduating engineers equaled 1200 persons. The amount of specialists prepared by full-time education was increasing, though part-time and extramural study forms also functioned.
In May 1993 according to the results of State accreditation Dnipropetrovsk Mining Institute gained the status of an autonomous IV-accreditation level state higher educational institution and the name of the State Mining Academy of Ukraine. In 1997, the President of Ukraine issued a decree to award the Academy the national status. In February 2002 the institution was restructured into the National Mining University. Since 2010 the University has had a research status. Today it is one of the leading technical higher educational institutions of the country. The University graduates possess the knowledge in modern computer technologies, and are capable of solving complicated problems of industry, economics and law development.
At the University there are 51 departments (27 of which are major-based) united into 9 faculties of full-time education, Institute of Extramural and Distance Learning, post-graduate and doctoral courses, Interbranch Institute of Continuing Learning, Scientific and Research Unit, Ukrainian-American Linguistic Center, Linguistic Center, Ukrainian German Cultural Center, Ukrainian-Spanish-Latin-American Center, Center for Ukrainian-Polish Cooperation, Energy Saving and Energy Management Center, Prydniprovsk Science-and-Technology Center of Information Protection, Ukrainian-American Lyceum, Marganets College, Pavlograd Technical School, Motor Transport Technical School et al.
At the University there study 12000 students, post-graduate and doctoral students in 27 modern specialties. The licensed amount of student admission for entering the University is 1400 students. The academic process is provided by 600 teachers including more than 100 Doctor of science, professors and 350 Candidate of Science, associate professors. A high quality of education is guaranteed due to the developed infrastructure of the University, modern computer local and global computer nets, library funds with more than one million of volumes, strong material and technical laboratory basis, newest technologies of education.
Do you want discuss National Mining University ? Any question, comments or reviews
Share this useful info with your friends
Join to discuss of National Mining University.
PLEASE NOTE: EducationBro Magazine gives you ability to read info about universities at 96 languages, but we ask you to respect other members and leave comments in English.